General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Acceleration Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 02:44 PM
rajlovermaster
Unregistered
Default Acceleration Problem

Hi Guys.... I am newbie here
Have 2002 Honda accord LX ( 4 Cycl) 88K miles on it.........Lately it is giving problem of pressure on the paddle when i try to accelerate..

Firestone at my last oil change told me to change Transmission oil. (flush as they call it) I read it somewhere not to get trans oil change done anywhere in the local garages but only at dealer... Is it true coz dealer charges double? Or could there be another problem?

Old 03-30-2009, 02:55 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Need a better description of the acceleration problem. A range of RPMs would be great!

Originally Posted by rajlovermaster
Firestone at my last oil change told me to change Transmission oil. (flush as they call it) I read it somewhere not to get trans oil change done anywhere in the local garages but only at dealer... Is it true coz dealer charges double? Or could there be another problem?
Never flush; always drain and refill. This is something you can do at home if you change your own oil (or know how). Search around on here, there should be plenty of instructions on how to do it.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:05 PM
rajlovermaster
Unregistered

Originally Posted by finch13
Need a better description of the acceleration problem. A range of RPMs would be great!

Never flush; always drain and refill. This is something you can do at home if you change your own oil (or know how). Search around on here, there should be plenty of instructions on how to do it.

I dont know the RPM right now but even while I am at 60 - 70 mph speed it feels like the car is dragging.

So when you said no flush means no cleaning with chemical or something. One garage said they will drain the oil clean it with chemical and refill it. And also without flushing how does it remove oil from pipes and all.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:15 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I dont know the RPM right now but even while I am at 60 - 70 mph speed it feels like the car is dragging.
My guess would be a clogged EGR valve or EGR ports. That's a common issue to cause a stumbling/slow acceleration.

So when you said no flush means no cleaning with chemical or something. One garage said they will drain the oil clean it with chemical and refill it. And also without flushing how does it remove oil from pipes and all.
Chemical flushes and pressurized cleaning knock gunk down that will get caught in the transmission passageways. It's written all over this site, simply search "tranny flush" or "transmission flush" and you'll get something. It's easy for a shop to charge $120 for a flush and then have you back a month later needing a replacement. Easy $2000-3000 for a shop.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

External pumps for flushing would be bad. Strange solvents & cleaners would be bad.
A shop with a flushing MACHINE would probably not drain & clean the machine & use genuine Honda fluid. Then do the same & go back to Dexron.

Torque converter doesn't drain, so you only drain about 1/3 of the total fluid. Home DIY way is to drive around & repeat the drain/fill a couple times.

Another way is to disconnect the hoses to the tranny cooler. One hose connected to a big funnel up in the air, where you pour fresh fluid in. Other hose goes to the bucket of dirty oil. I don't have an auto, so you'll have to figure out which hose is which. Run the engine & don't let the supply funnel go empty.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:08 PM
rajlovermaster
Unregistered

Ok so i have got Transmission Oil change ( drain and refill) done from Honda dealer. I asked them to drive and see if they see any issues they said no.

But when i came home I still feel the car is dragging. THis morning I checked when i start the car in Parking the rpm was 1250 while when i drive at 70 mph it was 2750. It feels like the car is making noise when it is in parking.

The problem is if i drive on cruise at 70 mph from my home and work which is 15 miles i get 25 mpg but if i drive without cruise it is 22 mpg. Isn't it too less for 4 cylinder honda accord?