General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Accord 2006 Reverse light electrical issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 09:38 PM
Default Accord 2006 Reverse light electrical issue

I have a Honda Accord 2006 VP Edition.
I had installed a backup camera to the reverse light and everything was working perfectly. Today morning I saw that one of the wires came loose near the camera and next thing I know I turn off my car and it won't get out of park once I start it. The odometer light won't come on, no lights on the dashboard come on, the needles are not moving, the AC compressor does not come on, the window switches do not work, the indicators do not work and the wipers do not work.
Since the car was not getting out of park I had to insert the key in the shifter and put it to neutral to start the car. The car is mechanically okay runs fine changes gears smoothly and everything is working okay except the electrical part.
I checked the fuses under the hood and in the driver panel and they all look okay to me. Any help regarding this issue would be greatly appreciated. The worst part is that this happened on a gas station while I was on my way from Wisconsin to Virginia which is about 850 miles and currently I'm driving without AC on and the windows don't go down.

Sorry about the long post this is my first post in this forum so please excuse me.

Old 08-22-2018, 03:58 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Almost certainly a fuse. Don't have access to my manual right now to suggest which one, but check your owner's manual for an indication on which one (fuse) might service the systems that have failed to function. Good luck.

Old 08-22-2018, 04:03 PM

Okay so I checked each and every individual fuse and they're all good. I dunno where to further look, I checked the reverse light bulbs and wires and they're all good too. I'm starting to doubt it has anything to do with the reverse light now. Not sure what to do. How can I check the under the hood relays if they're okay or not ?
I've already disconnected the camera and any connection it had with the reverse light since yesterday.
I even disconnected the battery for a while and connected but it made no difference.

Old 08-22-2018, 05:18 PM
Newest Of Newbies

The symptoms you have may not be directly caused by the backup light wire being grounded, that would have blown fuse #21; however, fuse #21 does also supply power to a multiplex integrated control unit that does affect other systems in the car (including power windows). Suggest you REPLACE #21 under the dash and see what happens. Otherwise, it appears you in for a longer "hands-on" electrical system assessment. FYI, attached is the wiring diagram for the backup lights.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Backup Light Circuit.pdf (327.6 KB, 79 views)
Old 08-23-2018, 04:24 PM

Unbelievable !
I checked all the fuses and they were all good, so I took the car to a Honda repair shop near me, he again checked the relays and fuses and they were all good so he told me to come back tomorrow and leave the car so he could check all the wires and all.
Today morning, I check my email, saw your reply, gave one more try to fuse #21 and it was blown, I could not believe it, I replaced it and my car's back to being as good as new.
Thank you so much really, you have no idea how much time, effort and money you saved me !
I just so happy and grateful.
Thank you