General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accord 97 EX V6 2.7L - Temperature Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 09:13 AM
Default Accord 97 EX V6 2.7L - Temperature Problem

1997 Honda Accord EX V6 2.7L - AT

I need some recommendations with what has been happening to my car. I have 3 major problems that I have been bothered and would like to get some opinions based on the symptoms that have appeared in the past 4 weeks.

1) My engine temperature increases drastically while the car is idle.

When the car is moving, the temperature would be normal at about 1/4 of the temperature indicator. However, when I get into a traffic jam, the temperature would go up to at about 3/4 of the indicator and at one point it went up close to the red indicator. This drastic increase usually happens within 30 sec - 1 min of the car being idle. When the car starts moving, the temperature would gradually decrease again to normal temperature.

2) The heater (it is below -10C here in Alberta) blows cold air while the RPM is pretty low.

My RPM is set close to 800-1000 rpm while idle. When the car moves and the RPM reaches around 2000 rpm, I can start feeling the heater blows warm air again.

3) The RPM indicator also sometimes fluctuates irregularly jumping to 3000 rpm or so then up and down again.

It happens when the car is moving, not while idle. It does fluctuate sometimes while the car is idle but not as often as when the car is moving.

-----------------------

I did some research on the web and I am suspecting that my temperature and heater problems could be the thermostat or the coolant/radiator issues. I checked the coolant reservoir level and it is still in between the min and max mark.

My mileage is approx. 211,000 km now. I got the thermostat replaced & premix coolant filled in July this year at 194,000 km (17,000 km/ 10,500 miles ago). Before that, the last time I got the coolant all flushed and filled was in December last year at 182,000 km (29,000 km/18,000 miles ago). I also saw some discussions mentioning about water pump issue but I had my water pump replaced in May 2009 at 159,000 km (52,000 km/33,000 miles ago).

I am also worried that the RPM fluctuation problem related to my spark plugs. The spark plugs have been there for around 60,000 km (38,000 miles) and last December I got them checked (29,000km/ 18,000 miles ago) and my mechanics said that they are still fine. I don't really feel a drop in performance either when the car is running, except for when the RPM starts to fluctuate.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could give me some opinions about the symptoms with my car (mostly with the temperature and heater issues), how crucial it is to get them fixed and whether the repair would cost me a lot of money or not. I am not that handy and don't have the tools, and budget is limited right now. I am looking forward to hearing back from some people in this forum for opinions.

Thanks.

PS: Anyone here from Calgary, Alberta and knows a good independent car car garage which is always fair in service and price? I just relocated here from Ontario and have been trying to find a trusty mechanic around.

Last edited by palsupunya; 11-23-2011 at 09:17 AM.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator

What is the level of coolant IN the radiator? Check when cold, no need to get hurt.

All three of these sound like the radiator is low on coolant....if so the next question is why?

Old 11-23-2011, 10:06 AM

poorman212,

I haven't checked the level of coolant in the radiator. I will check it and see from there. Thank you so much for your quick reply. I will work on it.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

Just a start....let us know what you find and we can go from there.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Turn AC switch On, blower to low speed and turn keyswitch to On. Do both radiator cooling fans run, one, or none? Your symptom of overheting in traffic and cooling at speed is consistent w/ one or more radiator fans iinop. It could be bad fans or fan relays.

good luck

Old 11-23-2011, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Turn AC switch On, blower to low speed and turn keyswitch to On. Do both radiator cooling fans run, one, or none? Your symptom of overheting in traffic and cooling at speed is consistent w/ one or more radiator fans iinop. It could be bad fans or fan relays.

good luck
So I checked the coolant level both in the reservoir and the radiator. They are still full and seem like there is no problem with the coolant level.

I also turned the AC switch on with blower to low speed. Both radiator cooling fans run.

I am still not sure what it would be. I am suspecting the thermostat now although it was recently replaced in July this year. I talked to my friend and he suggested that it could be something with the type of the thermostat and its range. So far the temp only went up to 3/4 max, and I noticed it did reach full max for few seconds once only. I am just hoping I don't get too bad of a traffic jam for now.

Thanks again both for the suggestions and I am definitely open for more opinions that I might be able to check by myself.

Old 11-23-2011, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Suggest replacing thermostat w/ an OEM Honda thermostat. They work better; faster warmup and more stable temps.

good luck