General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Accord 98 EX Rear Brake Leak

Old 11-04-2007, 08:32 AM
Default Accord 98 EX Rear Brake Leak

Greetings

This my first post/inquiry here and I hope to become a frequenter. This forum contains a wealth of accurate information. I have scanned the entries and not found my brake issue addressed.

Upon noticing a slight softness in the brake pedal I inspected the brake system in my Accord 98 EX. My suspicion proved right as I detected Rear Left Caliper is leaking brake fluid from what appears to be the back of the piston assembly where it connect to the Parking Lever/Cam Assembly. Please see the attached exploded view (if it works for me). I removed and inspected the cam boot which shows some minor signs of wear. I was not able to remove the Parking Lever/Assembly as it appears to be connected to a rod to the back of piston assembly.

Should I completely overhaul the caliper or just replace the cam boot? Anyone with experience with this particular leak?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Best regards

alfi

Old 11-04-2007, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: Accord 98 EX Rear Brake Leak

I see a banjo bolt w/ sealing washers above and below the fitting. Is this the source of the leak? If yes, then try replacing the sealing washers. The caliper might leak around the piston, hose/caliper fitting, or bleed fitting. Rest of assy is closed w/ no sealed seams.

Suggest downloading the 91 or 94-97 Accord Shop Manual. See our DIY section for Online Manual links.

good luck

Old 11-04-2007, 05:35 PM

There are no leaks from the banjo nut seals or the bleeder or the hose to the caliper. The leak is from around the cam boot of the Parking Lever/Cam Assembly. This was confirmed by applying pressure to the system ie pressing on the brake pedal. I have the 98-02 Accord Service Manual. There are no specific troubleshooting for this issue as it is not a typical problem as far as I know. I will look up the 94-97 Accord Shop Manual. May be there is something there. Thanks

Old 11-04-2007, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator

How did you remove the cam boot without taking out the handbrake cam itself? IIRC you have to dismantle that stuff from the piston back down in the bore. Then you remove the cam & replace it's seal.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:50 PM

Removed the Caliper, Cam bolt and the Parking Lever (pulled out) then pulled the cam boot over the cam and removed it from the bottom quite easily. All beacuse it is that end of the caliper that's leaking so I decided to have a look there. Odd leak. The caliper must have gone bad.