General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accord ignition pickup ignitor

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

This part is from MSD tech bulletin: "Every ignition system requires a trigger signal to accurately fire and deliver a high voltage spark from the coil. There are several ways this is achieved, from mechanical breaker points to magnetic pickups, optical triggers and other electronic switches which all serve the same function; to accurately trigger the ignition at the correct moment for the ideal spark timing."

Your 1998 Honda uses signals from different position sensors such as the Cylinder Position Sensor (CYP) which is part of the distributor body (see attached pic.), the combined Crankshaft Position and TDC sensor (located just below the crankshaft, fastened to the oil pump housing; see link).

Honda-Tech - View Single Post - bad crank position sensor??? i need expert help!

These position sensors sends their position signals to the ECM (car's computer).

Upon receiving these Position Signals, the ECM sends a Triggering Signal to pulse the Igniter.

The Igniter upon receiving this Triggering Signal in turn sends a Switching Signal to the Ignition Coil.

The Ignition Coil, upon receiving this Switching Signal, starts to Spark away!

The Switching Signal is just the 'switching' On and Off of the Primary Current flowing thru' the Coil by interrupting its path to ground.

The primary current is just the name for the 12 Volts that the Ignition Coil receives.

The ECM controls the Igniter at Start Up and at all engine speeds after Start Up, unlike the majority of Distributor-type Ignition Systems where the Ignition Control Module freelances at Start Up.

Part 1 -Honda Accord, Prelude Distributor Test

Honda's ignition system for your 1998 uses different position sensor signals than the breaker plate type pick-up from early Hondas (e.g., 1988 Accord, etc.) and the type of magnetic pick-up used for your 1985 Bronco.

Attached Thumbnails Accord ignition pickup ignitor-cyp-sensor.jpg  

Last edited by redbull-1; 06-07-2012 at 01:12 AM.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator

Some Honda Accords (like 1990 - 1995) had the cylinder position sensor/crank position sensor/TDC sensor inside the distributor. (See pic.)

As I stated in my previous post, your 1998 had the cylinder position sensor in the distributor. While the combined crank/TDC sensor was located near the oil pump. (See pic.)

Attached Thumbnails Accord ignition pickup ignitor-early-5th-gen-accord-distributor.jpg   Accord ignition pickup ignitor-crank-tdc-sensor.jpg  
Old 01-12-2023, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by dioalp
I believe the ICM is different than the igniter. Yes, I've heard the names used interchangeably by some people. Ok if that is true then what is the magnetic pickup electronic module called? This is the item I'm referring and can't be purchased separately except with a distributor. When the ICM is replaced, if the triggering mechanism is bad the still no spark. I can find this item for my 85 Bronco II but can't find it as a separate item for the Accord.... so maybe they do know of what they speak.
The electronic module ur referring to is called the crank position sensor and icm stands for ignition control module aka the ignitor u can buy those all day long but to replace ur crank position sensor u must replace ur whole distributor housing gotta remember these aren't like ur typical distributors on ford's and Chevys .