General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Accord SIR Transmission HELP!!!

Old 03-13-2009, 05:30 PM
bftp
Unregistered
Exclamation Accord SIR Transmission HELP!!!

Hi there guys ive inherited a Honda Accord SIR. Its all good, BUT it has a problem. The Gearbox is playing up. It makes NO difference if the shifter is in D1,D2,D3,D4. As in if its in D1 it still goes from 1st to 2nd. However this is as far as it goes, it will NOT go into third or fourth. I am getting an error code, which when i pull it out, the D4 light flashes one long and 5 short (15). This points in the Service manual to a Main Shaft sensor, which, as below, ive replaced and then Reset the TCU. Still brings up the same code (15).

Ive relaced :
The Shifting Solenoids
Both Shaft Speed sensors on the gearbox
The TCU (Tranny ECU)
The VSS (Vehicle speed sensor,

Ive also changed the Fluid 3 times, which hasnt helped at all.

PLEASE HELP :S

Old 03-13-2009, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

First what is a SIR and what year of manufacture? Is this a UK or European Accord?

For 90-97 Accords (US), trans code 15 is mainshaft speed sensor electrical fault. Symptoms are hard jerks when shifting. Doesn't sound like your problem.

Is there a long pause between the tens digit and the 5 short flashes? If yes, you have two codes; 10 and 5. Code 15 would be 1 long flash followed shortly (<1 sec pause) by 5 short flashes.

A fault in the AT Gear Position switch could leave the AT stuck in D2, which would only allow the 1-2 shift. Code 5 is an AT gear position switch error. I could imagine a nice cola bath on the AT gear position switch could cause some funny shift patterns.

good luck

Old 03-14-2009, 02:25 AM
bftp
Unregistered

Hey there, thanks for the post. The SIR is the (i think) Japanesse 2.2 DOHC VTEC. There isnt a long pause between them, less than a second. Ive replaced that sensor that it says has a fault, along with the TCU and cleaned and tested the VSS(which is unlikely to be the fault). Im unsure if it will be the shifter mech thing? As the lights on the dash move with the shifter? From d1 to d4 ok, but the ACTUAL transmission sits in 1 and 2. Also note, if i have it i d4, it kicks down to 1 when i plant the pedal, if i have it IN d1, it wont kick down to 1 :S

Could it be the Transmissions STUFFED?
Its a 1994 Honda Accord SIR 2.2 DOHC VTEC

Cheers for your help

Old 03-14-2009, 02:48 AM
bftp
Unregistered

ALSO NOTE: that there is no illumination on the dash when the headlights are on, and the A/C console does not work AT ALL. Im not sure if its related, but ive checked ALL the fuses underbonnet, and underdash, all are fine.

Old 03-14-2009, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I would suggest one additional check; the shift cable adjustment. Download the 94-97 Accord manual from DIY section, Online Manuals and check the shift cable adjustment. It looks to be a very straightforward inspection and check procedure.

It could be a hydraulic internal fault and repaired/used transmission is best repair option. In US you can find a used trans for <$500 and installation will run about same amount. A lot for a car of that age, but depends on whether you want to continue to use the car.

good luck