General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accord stalls when braking

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 06:19 AM
ekcpapa
Unregistered
Default Accord stalls when braking

Wanted to first of all thank everyone on this forum for helping me solve the "hot day-long crank-no start" issue while I was still a lurker around here. Unfortunately, I have another problem that I have done searches for but have not seen a clear diagnosis from similar issues.

I have a 94 Accord LX that stalls whenever I brake and the RPM's drop down to low. Sometimes I can catch it in midstall by hitting the gas or quick tapping the brake instead of steadily applying, but it is quite a pain to say the least. Once it stalls, I turn the car off, wait a second, turn it back on first try and can go until I brake again. If I can keep the rpm's from dropping to around 500-700 (by braking and giving it enough gas at the same time to keep the rpms up ) I can keep the car from stalling. The car will also sit and idle in the driveway without any complaint. I saw another poster say that he was checking his fuel pump, fuel line, and gas tank for clogs or contamination.I'm really a car maintenance noob (can do fairly simple maintenace but I'm not capable of pulling the engine or anything) and don' t want to sink any more money into fixing it than necessary.

Sorry for the long post, but any insight into this would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:42 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Accord stalls when braking

auto or manual

Old 07-19-2007, 11:02 AM
ekcpapa
Unregistered

Automatic (sorry, meant to put that in my original)

Old 07-19-2007, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

I'd go looking for a vacuum leak, the brake booster uses a lot of vacuum so the intake manifold is dropping too much vacuum.