General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice for 08 Honda Accord Oil Consumption > Timing Chain & Low Compression

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 03:33 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

These cars are known for these issues. Honda is well aware of the issue. My friend has had the same issue for 3 years with the oil consumption. Her dealership says they know of the issue but if the car was not bought from them by you the dealership will not cover it because Honda is not covering it. They say most of the dealership are handling it this way. I have been a Honda person since I was able to drive owning 5 Honda's. I have always been taken care of. This situation like my friends boils my blood.

I hope you figure this out. The bad part is the car is not working. If it was and you wanted to stay with Honda I would tell you to trade it in at a Honda dealership for a new one then the issue would be there's. My friend is trading hers in for an Acura next month. I hope hers don't give out on her.

Old 12-05-2018, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Seanjordan20
These cars are known for these issues. Honda is well aware of the issue. My friend has had the same issue for 3 years with the oil consumption. Her dealership says they know of the issue but if the car was not bought from them by you the dealership will not cover it because Honda is not covering it. They say most of the dealership are handling it this way. I have been a Honda person since I was able to drive owning 5 Honda's. I have always been taken care of. This situation like my friends boils my blood.

I hope you figure this out. The bad part is the car is not working. If it was and you wanted to stay with Honda I would tell you to trade it in at a Honda dealership for a new one then the issue would be there's. My friend is trading hers in for an Acura next month. I hope hers don't give out on her.
Keep feeding it oil, it won't give out if she does.

Old 12-05-2018, 04:25 PM

That's what I've been telling her to do. She checks it every Saturday and adds as needed. I hear so many horror stories from the same issue.

Old 12-05-2018, 04:55 PM

The latest good word from American Honda: " The DPS that makes the final decision and no assistance is being provided. Assistance provided from American Honda is based on loyalty to the brand.”

P.S. loyalty to the brand means getting your car serviced at Honda.

Old 12-05-2018, 05:25 PM

Not necessarily. I have never gotten my cars serviced at Honda unless it was under warranty. But I did realize when I had an issue with my second lawnmower and made a call to American Honda they had every item/car I purchased with Honda.

This is probably why I've never had any issues when I have things go wrong outside of warranty. I've had 5 cars, 2 lawnmowers and a pressure washer. If that's not loyalty I don't know what is.

I never trust the dealership with maintenance on my car. The prices and lack of knowledge is why. The one time I did it was on my 07 accord. I was being lazy and wanted my valves adjusted. Guess what they messed it up on the exhaust side and tried to blame it on age when I brought it back. I went to advance auto parts and did it myself in the parking lot drove it back and requested my money back. They gave it back and I won't do it again. Even with the airbag recalls I hated going in because I knew they were going to mess something up. They never want to put all the screws/clips back which causes vibration. I love the brand but hate the service. Once your car/item is out of warranty unless it's a safety issue they can care less. you have to be persistent and call American Honda yourself. It does help to be a loyal customer. You get less push back.

Last edited by Seanjordan20; 12-05-2018 at 05:29 PM.
Old 12-05-2018, 05:47 PM

You're right, Sean. They mentioned that we only owned one Honda on the call as another reason for poor loyalty. This was my wife's first new car, straight out of college though. She bought it herself.

Oh well...

Hope you and your friend have better luck with your Hondas!

Old 04-09-2019, 12:55 PM

Update: had the engine replace with a used one (70k miles @ $3500 installed) and just got my first oil change. After 400 miles we're down to 90% with a slow oil leak under the engine. See photo below. Any idea what's happening here? I'll take it back to my mechanic and have them work on it. Hopefully, this is covered this under the 1year warranty, it has been 3 months. Thank you!

Old 04-09-2019, 03:06 PM

I would definitely take it back. Maybe some spilled oil but I would verify.

$3500 for an engine with 80k. You should make them work for every penny they charged you. Since the American models are having seal issues I would of went JDM they are cheaper with lower miles. I just replaced one in my friends car 2 weeks ago. Hopefully your drips are just from spilled oil while filling