General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air compressor help

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 03:56 PM
Almost A Senior Member
Default Air compressor help

I have a 1995 honda accord 2.2 vtec automatic. And I recently decided to charge my A/C for the summer. I've had the car for 4 years now and never had it charged.

I bought the can ,hooked it up , turned my AC on and the car shut off.
I started it back up and kept it running while the freon went into the compressor and I saw smoke coming from the compressor. I shut the car back off and the AC pull was extremely hot. I started the car back up and left the AC off and the car ran fine as soon as I turn the AC button back on the car dies and the pump starts smoking. Sometimes the car stays running but the idle loops up and down

I need to know what is wrong and if it's an easy fix or what are my options. Should I just turn it on and keep the car running or is this a major issue. I didn't know cause it hasn't been charged in a very long time. If it needs kinda broke in

Also if it's broke completely can I buy a drive belt to bypass the AC completly. Just for the crank and alternator. If so where's a good place to pick that up

Old 07-08-2014, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator

I'm no AC guru so I'll just ask for the benefit of those who DO know something...

Why did you think it needed to be charged? Was it not cooling? Was the compressor running but not cooling? Did you measure high & low side pressures when it was running? Just some background to help us understand what led you to this point.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:42 PM
Almost A Senior Member

I've never had cold air in the car since I bought it 4 years ago. And this year has been extra hot where I live. So I got a can to recharge it. The guy I bought it off of said that it worked before just needed charged. And I don't know what you mean by checking the pressure. I can pretty much do any work on the car but I've never messed with the air conditioning in any vehicle I've owned.

As soon as the compressor kicks on the car wants to stall out. And the pully begins to smoke and get hot

Old 07-08-2014, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like a seized compressor.

There is an Accord DX alternator belt w/o A/C available if you wanted to bypass the compressor.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:16 AM
Almost A Senior Member

When i turn it back off the car runs fine. But I'm just gonna try to bypass it completly incase it seizes up completely and leaves me stranded

Old 07-09-2014, 01:36 PM

With the car off see if the clutch plate spins freely. If not just get a used one. Oddly enough I have a 95 good compressor from an LX that I saw in the back of my shop today.

I would never add R134a the way you did. You really need to know the science behind the high pressure and low pressure, relative humidity when adding, and ambient air temperature at the time you are adding.