General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another concered question

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 05:17 PM
Red face Another concered question

Hey sorry got another question

99 Honda Accord EX V6 (automatic trans) 161,000 miles

Beside the transmission problems I have been doing allot of heavy idling for hours a day as I am a traveler and don't like to spend big bucks on hotels.. now I know idling isn't good for the engine but I have to do it at this point..

Now I had the check engine light come on at one point and I took it in for a code check and it came up with something like (can't fully remember) catalytic efficiency code p0420 (I think) and lately I have been having problems with it starting or idling rough.. sometimes I will start it and it will die out right away, like it aint getting enough gas or something then I will have to lay down on the accelerator over about 2000 rpm for a couple seconds and it will then idle out fine, but most of the time it starts up and stays on and I can drive away like normal.. the check engine light is now off and no code is coming up but it is still acting funny any suggestions, i hope it aint the catalytic converter but if it is .. i guess that would explain.. still not sure,

thanks guys!

Old 03-11-2011, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator

Does the D4 light start flashing? I would still stop by a parts store and have the codes scanned just to be thorough.

Are you maintenance items up to date, like distributor cap, distributor rotor, and the spark plugs? Don't forget that letting the engine run while parked adds miles to the plugs, cap, and rotor, but does not add miles to the odometer. The same thing goes for the timing belt.

When the car is running normally, can you get the car to stall out by shaking the key?

Old 03-12-2011, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Does the D4 light start flashing? I would still stop by a parts store and have the codes scanned just to be thorough.

Are you maintenance items up to date, like distributor cap, distributor rotor, and the spark plugs? Don't forget that letting the engine run while parked adds miles to the plugs, cap, and rotor, but does not add miles to the odometer. The same thing goes for the timing belt.

When the car is running normally, can you get the car to stall out by shaking the key?
The D4 light has not flashed yet so far.. I will definitely stop at autozone and get a scan done if possible .. there does seem to be less power and a month ago I had driven it to the gas station, turned it off but left my radio on and light and did a 5 MINUTE gas fill up, when back to start the car and it was dead.. needed a jump however my battery is no more then a year old if at the most .. they said my alternator was ok but i don't know .. so far it hasn't done this again but I am mindful to shut off my lights and radio etc.. before shutting the car off... i suppose I should get the cap plugs and rotor replaced but how much does this typically cost?

I had replaced the ECU unit during the summer as I was having stalling problems and that fixed it so.. no when I shake the key everything is ok... so far just a random stall problem when I first start it up after idling along time but it runs when I give it gas for a couple seconds

Old 03-13-2011, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator

The cap and rotor probably run about $40 from the dealer for the parts.