General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another sunroof qt for 2000 accord

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 07:45 PM
Default Another sunroof qt for 2000 accord

I've searched everywhere, and haven't found a thread on this particular issue.

My 2000 Accord 3.0 EX 4DR sunroof opens and closes smoothly, but the middle button on the switch no longer functions. The problem caused by this is that it does not automatically close to the correct position any longer. If the sunroof is completely open and I push the close button, it will close all the way and continue into the vent position (tipped up). Holding the open button will open it completely. To close the sunroof I have to manually stop the window when it appears to be in the correct position. The middle button does nothing at all.

I have replaced the switch, but that didn't help. I have read about the sunroof relays, but they seem to be related to the sunroof not opening or closing at all.

I had it at the dealership for a new timing belt, and asked them about it. They told me that it was most likely something behind the headliner, and they recommended NOT digging in that deep since the roof is still basically functional.

Does anybody have any suggestions? It's frustrating to have it not working correctly. I'd rather not have to pull the headliner, but I'm not afraid of it if that's what I have to do.

Thanks-
Rack

Last edited by rack; 06-07-2013 at 08:29 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:17 PM
Super Moderator

I looked at the wiring diagram and is missing some details. The relays are working, because the window opens and closes.

There is a part called the key-off timer that is part of the passenger multiplex circuit. I can't tell the exact role of this unit and/or where it is located on the wiring diagram. If you found this part at a u-pull-it type yard, it would be worth swapping to see if this fixes the problem.

There is also the moon roof position switch that I don't know the function in this wiring diagram.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:42 PM

Thanks for the suggestions! Unfortunately, I'm not close to any serve yourself yards. I just downloaded the service manual, so I'll try to find the wiring diagrams you refer to there. The moonroof position switch sounds like a promising lead. I couldn't find any switch in the sunroof parts breakouts, but its obviously there somewhere. At least I have something to look for now

Thanks again

Old 06-07-2013, 11:51 PM
Super Moderator

There's a possibility it may be a problem with the moon roof limit switch. For the 6th gen Accord EX (e.g., 1998-2002), it looks to be part of the whole drive assembly (part #22 in diagram). See attach pic. of limit switch for your car, which is under the head liner. It may not be worth trying to fix since it may involve replacing the whole drive assembly.

For 7th gen Accords (e.g., 2003 - 2007), the limit switch is separately replaceable from the whole drive assembly, unlike the 6th gen Accord EX.

Attached Thumbnails Another sunroof qt for 2000 accord-moonroof-limit-switch.jpg   Another sunroof qt for 2000 accord-s843b3820a.jpg  
Old 06-08-2013, 12:08 AM

I really appreciate the help here. It looks like I'm going to have to just live with it I guess. I was hoping the switch would be replaceable, for obvious reasons. Oh well. I agree that it isn't worth replacing the entire drive assembly. At this point I'm thankful it's otherwise fully functional

Thanks again for the quick responses!