General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto Tranmission Fluid Change

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 08:05 PM
Secretspot
Unregistered
Default Auto Tranmission Fluid Change

Hi, I'm new here. Thank you all for coming together to help us out. I have a 1998 Honda Accord 2.3L4 Cyl Vtec. It's time to do a automatic transmission fluid change. I've read many threads on how to DIY. The DIY section suggests doing threedrains to flush old fluid out. My question is:

Since I'm going tofill anddrain new fluid and dispose of it three times. Can I use cheapcompatible ATF for thethree drainings, then on the last fill use Honda ATF (because it won't be drained)?

(Three fillings at up to five quarts at $8.00 a quart comes out to over $120). It seems tome if I'm only going to have ATF in the tranmission for three miles, then drain anddispose to filter out old ATF, why spend money on the good stuff?

Thanks in advance for anyand all respones.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:10 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Auto Tranmission Fluid Change

The torque converter doesn't drain. So every time you drain, you only get about 1/3 of the fluid out. So 2/3 of the fluid is still in there. Don't use cheap stuff - it'll take forever to dilute it out of there.

How long since it was last changed? How dirty or smelly is the fluid now? If it's OK then I'd just drain & fill once. If you do that every 30k miles (maybe every 20k?) then it should be good.

Or... Do a single drain & fill. Look at the fluid that drained out. If it's dirty or smelly, then go buy some more fluid & do it again. Driving 5 miles or 100 miles between drain/fill exercises isn't going to make much difference.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:38 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

yea just do it once. use OEM, it works waaaaaay better than any other stuff. plus, if you use offbrand, it will never be taken out. there will always be traces of it, and it will only be diluted. OEM all the way.

I would say do it, drive around for 10 miles then do it again. 3 times isnt going to make much difference. 2 changes will dilute about 55% of it with new fluid, one will dilute about 1/3 of it with new fluid. 3 times will only dilute it only to 70% new fluid, 4 changes will make it 80% new fluid, and 5 changes will make it 86%. (yes, these are almost exact figures)
take your pick on which you feel is the best value. and at about $18 a change, it isnt cheap.

Old 10-23-2007, 02:21 AM
Almost A Senior Member

ORIGINAL: Secretspot
(Three fillings at up to five quarts at $8.00 a quart comes out to over $120). It seems to me if I'm only going to have ATF in the tranmission for three miles, then drain and dispose to filter out old ATF, why spend money on the good stuff?
It should only take just a little over 2.5 quarts to refill it each time. So you should only need 8 maybe 9 quarts if you're gona do it 3 times. I would also think it's a good idea to stick with the Honda ATF. BTW $8 might be a little high since I got mine for $6 a quart when I changed mine a few months ago.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:26 AM

SS: THANK YOU FOR DOING YOUR RESEARCH FIRST!!!!!

There is not enough of that happening lately and you doing your own research is very much appreciated!!!

...... just one little thing. Please add a signature with year/trim/doors/tranny info when posting for advice. It helps us to help you.

Also, [size=5]welcome to HAF!!!!

Old 10-23-2007, 09:45 AM

haha. thanks dad!

Old 10-24-2007, 03:40 AM

Its nice to do it yourself but on a Honda with no pan or filter to change, at least call one of those Flush Centers and ask if they have OEM fluid, if they will take yours and what do they charge to exchange the fluid through the dip stick hole while the engine is running, most efficient method for a Honda.

Other wise, just change it on a pretty regular basis.