General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Axle replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 04:29 AM
Almost A Senior Member
Default Axle replacement

Good day all!

My 97 Accord front axles have been making some clicking noises for a while now, usually when turning left or right from a stop.

Guess it's time to replace both axle assemblies. Went to advanced auto parts and the axle price does not seem too bad (75.00) for each side.

I do most of my own maintenance like tune ups, brakes, oil changes etc. but was wondering how difficult of a job this is to do if I try to do it myself.

Thanks!

Old 01-25-2009, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: Axle replacement

Following link has some good pics of typical process.

http://www.automedia.com/CV_Rehab/ccr20021101cv/1

There are two major challenges to DIY.

First is removal of the axle retaining nut. It is best to loosen this w/ wheel on the ground before raising vehicle. You will need a large (32 or 36mm) 1/2" socket, a good 1/2" breaker bar, and a cheater pipe to increase leverage. Breaking force is several hundred ft-lbs torque. A good air impact wrench will also work. Extensive hammering may be required.

Second you will need a "ball joint lifter tool" (google for pics) to break the steering tie-rod ball joint and lower ball joints. Autozone and O'Riellys may have a rental tool that will do the job. If you use a "pickle fork" tool, you will need to replace the ball joint boots, which may need replacing in any case. Not a bad idea to buy new ball joints boots and replace them at this time.

HAFs DIY link for this serviceis inactive as are many of our links.

good luck

Old 01-25-2009, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

I have found that the rebuilt ones from autozone may not last long. I ordered new ones from O'Reillys and was impressed with their quality. They were about the same price as autozone. They also have a lifetime warranty and you can order them online.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:07 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Thanks for the info guys. I am going to give it a shot on my next weekend off.

Also thanks for the advice about Advanced auto parts, that had been a concern of mine about getting good quality parts.I will start looking on the internet for a good aftermarket axle replacement.

Any brand name that you would suggest?

Old 01-26-2009, 01:37 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Also just looked at some internet prices, the basically vary from about 70-100 dollars for each axle assembly.

The brand names I found were EMPI, FEQ, GKN.

Anyone have any ideas about these brands?

Old 01-26-2009, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Because of the problems w/ rebuilt, I have purchased used CV axles recently. They are lower price and OEM equipment, but boots could wear out since they have mileage/age on them.

I have tried to purchase replacement axles locally and found them to be wanting.One axle was so stiff it would not deflect under it's own weight. Seller said this was fine, and "anyway it's covered by warranty". However, the job of installation is not trivial and I don't particularly enjoy pulling axles.

I visited a Houston sweat shop that specializes in axle rebuilding. From my observation (very brief), I suspected the only thing changed was grease in the axle (swabbed out w/ rag) and new boot. No inspection of parts at all.

Perhaps there's a remanufacturer who actually does remove, clean, inspect, and rebuild but prices tell me no. Whoever can sell the cheapest axles get's the order.

good luck