General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Bent CV shaft?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 08:21 AM
Default Bent CV shaft?

I think I may have a bent CV shaft but how can I check to see if it really is? I have a kind of a "hopping" sensation that occurs from the right front corner mainly between 15-30 mph and it varies with speed. Wheels and tires are good as are the hub bearings. I suspect a bent shaft or spindle because the right front has hit the curb a bit hard a couple of times in the recent past. Any help is appreciated!

Old 10-13-2016, 09:56 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by BlackLX4
I think I may have a bent CV shaft but how can I check to see if it really is? I have a kind of a "hopping" sensation that occurs from the right front corner mainly between 15-30 mph and it varies with speed. Wheels and tires are good as are the hub bearings. I suspect a bent shaft or spindle because the right front has hit the curb a bit hard a couple of times in the recent past. Any help is appreciated!
Try swapping the right front tire and rim combo with the right rear. The idea behind this is to 1st see if the vibration is gone, or stays the same. If it goes away, then your problem lies in the rim, or tire (bent or out of balance, or out of round). Then you'll have to narrow it down by having it spun/balanced while it's being watched for anything out of normal (should run true and straight with no bouncing around up/down or side to side)

Now if it all stays the same, then I'd look deeper like wheel bearing, or bent control arm. An alignment shop would be needed for the control arm, but jacking up the RF, so it clears the ground and shake it in/out at 6 & 12, along with 3 & 9 o'clock.
Personally I've never seen a bent CV joint, or drive axle, but hub bearings, bent rims, and other items YES, I've seen those before.

Last edited by The Toecutter; 10-13-2016 at 09:58 PM.
Old 10-14-2016, 07:19 AM

I keep forgetting to mention that I've checked for many of those things. Tires and wheels are good and do not move when I try to shake them. Tires were rotated but no change. Control arms and ball joints are all new (replaced within the past year). I don't think it's hub bearings because a.) there is zero movement in any direction when I move the wheel (in/out, up/down, or side to side), and b.) there is no sound that would indicate a bad bearing. There's what seems to me like excessive play where the inboard joints enter the diff. assembly, but I don't know if that would cause the hopping. I believe it's a rotational component though, because the hopping varies up or down according to the speed of the vehicle.

Old 10-14-2016, 09:26 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by BlackLX4
I keep forgetting to mention that I've checked for many of those things. Tires and wheels are good and do not move when I try to shake them. Tires were rotated but no change. Control arms and ball joints are all new (replaced within the past year). I don't think it's hub bearings because a.) there is zero movement in any direction when I move the wheel (in/out, up/down, or side to side), and b.) there is no sound that would indicate a bad bearing. There's what seems to me like excessive play where the inboard joints enter the diff. assembly, but I don't know if that would cause the hopping. I believe it's a rotational component though, because the hopping varies up or down according to the speed of the vehicle.
It could then be a bad CV joint. Not sure which end of the shaft though. Usually you'll hear clicking when the outer goes bad, but the inner is usually quiet, until it goes (not very often).