Tires & Wheels What wheels are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Bent wheel questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 04:41 PM
redsailtx
Unregistered
Default Bent wheel questions

I bent a couple of wheenls a couple months back and had a wobble in the steering wheel. A mechanic at a brake shop close by said I was ok to drive one them (since I was out of town at the time). When I got home, I got new tires put on because my tread was low anyways. The guys at Discount Tire pointed out that I had the dents, but they also said I was fine to drive on them (I would lose tread faster is all they said). With the new tires on and the dented wheels on the back, I didn't notice the wobble at all. Its been a couple months or so and I am noticing the wobble when I drive around 30 mph. Should I be concerned?

This is in a 99 Accord LX with stock steel wheels. Just wondering if I am playing with fire... I am having problems finding the same wheels online anywhere, and am not looking forward to finding out how much the dealer will charge. Any insight is appreciated.

Old 10-24-2007, 05:44 PM
Default RE: Bent wheel questions

Google wheel repair and you'll get lots of alternatives for repair. I would not ride on bent wheels at all, it's just not safe. After a while your new tires assume the shape of the damaged wheel and you're back where you were. Also check with local auto recyclers (junkyard). That would be tons less than new wheels.

Were it me I would PM Wheelbroker, the admin for this forum and see what he can come up with.

Old 10-24-2007, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

if they arent bent too bad you can sometimes put some weights on to counterbalance it, but seeing you put new tires on and it still wobbles i assume that they are too bent for that solution.

there are shops that specilalize in fixing bent rims, but its often almost if not as expensive as just buying new ones.

So I would try and find an accord in the junkyard. I dont know how attatched you are to that specific design, but you could consider aftermarket ones, or even different generation accord or honda rims(with the same lug pattern and offset of course)

Old 10-25-2007, 08:34 AM
redsailtx
Unregistered

Thanks for the replies. I will start looking at local junkyards.

Question about new wheels if I have to go that route. Are the lower priced ones ( <100) on sites like tirerack or discount tire decent buys? I'm looking for durability more than anything else.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:18 AM

In my opinion $100 for a brand new wheel is a pretty danggood price.

Old 10-27-2007, 08:19 PM
Administrator

Hi Member:
I cant hardley recommend you driving on those rims that are bent and I cant see why in the HLL Tire Depot who I deal with would ever say such a Stupid Thing to you...Shame On Them [:@]

WheelBrokerAng..If your lookin for low cost rims then E-mail me in PM and I will get you hooked up!

Old 10-27-2007, 10:41 PM

I took my bent rims to an independent professionalguy who does the work from his home. He charged me $100.00 for the repair of my bent rim which was not a factory rim. I would say to just buy a new rim from a junkyard or the dealership since you have factory rims. Make sure you shop around though because I have bought parts from salvage yards before and then found out that I could of gotten the stuff brand new for the price that I paid. I also wanted to warn you about Discount Tire. I have had a lot of problems with them. I bought some aftermarket rims from them and did not know that my tires were going to wear out within a couple of months. They then told me after the two months of driving on the tires that my car a 96 Honda Accord required a camber kit so that the tires wouldn't wear out so quickly. This company is such a rip off. Theydon'tdo alignmentor any of the needed adjustments. I know theydon'tdo these things just so they can point the finger at someone else when you tires don't last long. I will never go back there. I now go to Tire Kingdom where they do camber, alignment, and sale tires. Also I had to take my car to Tire Kingdom because discount tire didn't know how to put the camber kits on the car nor did theyknow how to adjust them. Good luck with the rim thing and watch out for pot holes.. I have to bob and weave all the time.