General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big decision : repair oil leak in spark plug + brake line rust OR buy another car

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

My understanding is F22B2 engine requires the orings under camshaft rocker arm assy since spark plug path penetrates rocker arm assy. The F22 B2 engine has separate tube for each spark plug so no intermediate seal req'd. If non-vtec engine, you likely have F22B2 engine. You could pull valve cover and look for spark plug access through rocker arms to confirm.

good luck

Old 10-10-2013, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

Which valve cover do you have?

I looked at parts drawings and all the 1996 EX have the VTEC engine. I looked at 2-door, 4-door, automatic, manual, California, etc.

If your sparkplugs are across the front of the valvecover, you don't have the lower seals. If your sparkplugs are across the back of the valvecover, then you have the lower seals.

Attached Thumbnails Big decision : repair oil leak in spark plug + brake line rust OR buy another car-1996-valvecovers.jpg  
Old 10-10-2013, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

AWWW shoot. I just looked back through this thread & saw you talking about kilometers. Are you in Canada? I think your EX is the same as our LX. Our EX is called EX-R up in Canada. Or something like that.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Which valve cover do you have?

I looked at parts drawings and all the 1996 EX have the VTEC engine. I looked at 2-door, 4-door, automatic, manual, California, etc.

If your sparkplugs are across the front of the valvecover, you don't have the lower seals. If your sparkplugs are across the back of the valvecover, then you have the lower seals.
The spark plug are are across the back of The valve cover .
And on the valve cover it is written "16 valves"

So I think I do have the lower seals ! and my canadian EX is a F22B2

Thanks a lot to all for your input!

Last edited by curvenut; 10-10-2013 at 09:44 PM.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

It still MIGHT be the upper seals that are leaking. If doing it yourself, I'd change them first because they are so much easier than the lower seals.

IF it still leaks, then you can change the lower seals. At that point, the upper seals will be pretty new and still soft so they should still seal.

A shop will probably not want to do it that way, because it's never good for customers to come back saying "it still leaks".

Old 10-11-2013, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
It still MIGHT be the upper seals that are leaking. If doing it yourself, I'd change them first because they are so much easier than the lower seals.

IF it still leaks, then you can change the lower seals. At that point, the upper seals will be pretty new and still soft so they should still seal.

A shop will probably not want to do it that way, because it's never good for customers to come back saying "it still leaks".
I think I am going to change both set of seals because it the lowers one fail in 6-7 months, I may need to change the upper seals and the cover valve gasket when removing the cover valve.

I read a DIY for changing the seals, and it uses hondabond sealant in 4 place of the cover gasket. Do I really need that hondabond on the gasket ???

Old 10-11-2013, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

Yes. Same as Permatex Ultra-Grey which you can buy at all kinds of places like AutoZone.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:32 AM

Hi,

Just an update
I finally change the spark plug seals (upper and lower) as well as the valve cover gasket.
I followed the instruction of the ericthecarguy video.
Everything went as shwon on th video but in my case, I really went slowly since this my major work on my car. In total it tooks me 2 hours to do the job.

Really happy, and in total it cost me :

25$ : valve cover gasket, lowr and upper spark plug tube seals
30$ : rent at the self-serve shop since I am leaving in appartment (no garage)

for a total of 55$

Finally, the job was pretty easy !

Old 12-23-2013, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Thanks for posting your outcome. Congrats on getting job done!

good luck