General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Spark Plug Oil Leak Situation

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 10:33 AM
F3L0N
Unregistered
Default Spark Plug Oil Leak Situation

Hey guys, i have a really bad oil leak in one of my spark plug holes, when i press the gas too hard the spark plug wire pops out and my engine starts misfiring the engine is a F22B2 and i already replaced the valve cover gasket with the 4 seals, that didn't do anything. With my gasket set i received 4 O rings now im guessing i need to replace those in order to solve the problem, i have a slight idea of where the O rings are located but dont know how difficult this job would be, my main concern is taking things apart and not putting things back right, i need some advice on how difficult this job would be and step by step on how to get to the O rings. i would really appreciate the help guys, Thanks

Old 12-18-2008, 10:40 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Spark Plug Oil Leak Situation

So when you got the VC gasket set (1 VC gasket, 4 spark plug tube seals) you didn't put the 4 tube seals in?

You have to take the valve cover off, flip it over and that's where the O-rings are in the holes.

I don't know what motor you have, but the 94-97 spark plug seals can go in either way. On the 98-02 models, the seals have a flange type deal on them (like this: |/ \| ) make sure they're installed with that flange facing up.

If those don't stop your leak, there are 4 more seals in the head.

But, my question is, if the this leak is blowing the spark plug wire off, is there oil shooting out too? If there isn't... you may have a compression leak in that cylinder. I don't think the oil pressure is high enough to blow the wire off.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

If you're getting engine compression into the spark plug tube, the spark plug is loose. I would remove and inspect spark plug and gasket, and replace as indicated.

There's a procedure "OIL IN SPARK PLUG WIRES ,,,,FIX" in DIY section to guide oring installations.

good luck

Old 12-18-2008, 10:51 AM
F3L0N
Unregistered

With my VC set i got the VC gasket 4 spark plug tube seals and 4 O rings and the leak doesnt blow the wire completely off, its juss pops it and then i start hearing the engine misfire, regardless when i get this leak situated i need to buy new wires because that wire must be done after all the oil its gotten in it.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I would also check that PCV system is working correctly. A buildup of crankcase pressure under valve cover due to blocked PCV might blow oil out by the spark plug seals and elsewhere.

good luck

Old 12-18-2008, 11:28 AM
F3L0N
Unregistered

Thanks guys i appreciate all the feedback, and i followed what texashonda recommended, the reason i was leakin oil was cuz the spark plug was loose! i just tightened it a little more and it doesnt leak anymore, but now i dont know if i should change those o rings, or should i just leave em?

Old 12-18-2008, 11:29 AM

If they're not leaking, youll be fine. But they only take a few minutes to pop out and in. Coat them lightly with motor oil before you put them in.

Old 12-18-2008, 05:57 PM

ORIGINAL: F3L0N

the reason i was leakin oil was cuz the spark plug was loose! i just tightened it a little more and it doesnt leak anymore,
No way.............a little loose ( loose) spark plug will not cause an oil leak ,,if there is oil in the spark plug tubes ,, you got other issues, make sure that you installed the upper seals properly ,, it might be the lower rocker arm seals ( lower spark plug tube seals) ,, like it was advised, there is a write up on the DIY section,, not a hard job at all ..

Old 12-18-2008, 05:57 PM

The four 4 O rings go under the rocker arm assembly where it mates to the head. I don’t know if you have to take the cam out to replace them. I only know about them as when I had my 2.2 head done they asked for the seals which were in the kit. The machine shop said unless the engine overheats they are usually good. Mine were hard and I overheated the motor.