General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Black inside throttle body and intake

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 05:51 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Black inside throttle body and intake

2000 Accord - 2.3 - auto trans - 120,000 miles

For the second time I had to clean the throttle body on the Accord my daughters share to keep the throttle from sticking a little in the closed position the first time the throttle is used in the morning. It will take a little extra push to pop it loose and then it's fine for the rest of the day. The first time about a year ago I just cleaned out the throat around the plate and it was fine.

This time I noticed there was some motor oil under the air inlet tube when I loosened the clamp from the TB. I lightly sprayed the interior and reached in to wipe it out and was coming up with a heavy deposit of oily black carbon grime from the inside of the TB and throttle plate. I took the throttle body off for a better look and a thorough cleaning. The inside is very fouled with the black grime as is the interior of the intake.

Is this engine suffering from excess blow by? It doesn't smoke on start-up or while running. I add a quart of oil on average between changes. Is there a component on these engines that's supposed to prevent all that oil from sucking up that needs to be serviced or replaced? I'm an old V-8 guy and drive a 70 swinger for my daily driver so I'm not as familiar with all the extra "stuff" on these newer engines.

Thanks.

Old 04-17-2011, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator

The PCV valve is something that you may want to change. I think that the honda brand is better quality IMO.