General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blower motor

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 04:13 PM
Default Blower motor

Can anyone tell me if the blower motors go bad?Mine still blows,but it seems like it should be stronger.The windows don't clear completelyup when they're fogged.It just seems like it's not blowing as strong as it should.

Old 09-08-2007, 04:42 PM
Default RE: Blower motor

Yes, they go bad, but check the blower motor resistor first, since it may not be letting full power through to the motor.

Old 09-08-2007, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

A badly clogged evaporator can block the air stream, greatly reducing air delivery. Only way to know is to pull the blower to look (pretty good job, but not terrible). Does AC work? If not, perhaps time to repair. Pull evaporator, clean, and replace all orings. Leaking orings may be reason the evaporator is clogged, as AC oil attracts dirt blocking air flow.

good luck

Old 09-09-2007, 12:11 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

if the resistor goes bad , you will not have the lower speeds, it will only work on high ,, resistor has nothing to do with air flow,, I would chk for blockage in the evap like it was suggested ..
you can just remove the metal strap between evap and blower , remove glove box first , get a lite and chk to see if there is a lot of debris in evap,, you might have to use a mirror to get a better look in there ..

another thing that could cause that is if the flap doors do not operate properly ,, ( vents, defrost, etc etc )

and lastly ,, yes the motor could be on its last leg and not spinning as normal ..

Old 02-06-2008, 03:46 PM
Waltermydoinhere
Unregistered

Well as Desert honda posted in another thread, I would recommend getting a rubber mallet and tapping on the blower motor itself. My kicked on after a couple taps and ran until I shut the car off. It was only for a day or so that this would work as I eventually heard it slow to a STOP. Motor dead. Now to find a new one!

Good luck.

Old 04-06-2008, 01:05 AM
firemanjim
Unregistered

So I have the glove box off and am looking behind at the several units behind on the firewall---this is a 1991 Accord EX 2 dr. 5 spd,A/C. Fan is not working at all on heater. Checked 30 amp fuse and 7.5 amp fuse.Both good. I have no power at fan switch, ignition switch has power at all legs, not sure where to look now???Want to know where the fan motor is.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:19 AM

Blower motor is in the blower module under the glove box. It is fairly easy to remove the module,...with instructions. Don't try to remove w/o instructions from the shop manual. See Online Manual links in DIY. Any 90-93 manual should be Ok. Motor is very expensive from Honda, but there are aftermarket blower motors at more reasonable prices, but expect to pay about $75-100.

Sounds like you're not sure it's the blower. You will have no power at switch when the keyswitch is OFF. Relay isolates switch from power, so a bad blower relay could prevent operation. Check blower relay. Blower relay should always be closed and is not switched by keyswitch.

Good time to R&R the evaporator also. Replace all orings and clean.

If you

Old 11-18-2008, 10:25 PM

90 Accord LX:
Initially when I bought this car a year ago Blower motor HIGH worked. Also a couple of the in between speeds worked, but not all. Then all speeds including high stopped working. Pulled dash panel off and confirmed switch good and power going to switch. Pulled blower motor box out completely. On my work bench going straight to motor terminals the fan runs full bore high speed very strong. Put it back into the car and all blower speeds worked. 2 days later all speeds stopped again. Pulled it out onto work bench again, some thing- full bore high speed worked fine. Installed back into car. Worked for a day, then stopped working again. Not wanting to pull it out again I slapped it on the bottom and it works. Every couple days it stops working until I slap it. It appears even in High speed it isn't blowing as strong as on my work bench.

Could there be something else going on besides the motor brushes? I don't know how to test the resistor that is attached to the blower box.

Old 11-19-2008, 12:10 PM

The reason it works intermittently are worn brushes. The vibration of removal temporarily reseats them and it will run till it stops, and then will not restart.

Fix is a new motor. Don't try to repair the brushes. It's very tricky, but just barely possible. I managed to do this, but it only lasted perhaps 3 months before failing again.

good luck