General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bosal CAT Design Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 02:26 PM
Default Bosal CAT Design Issue?

Hi,

Wondering if anyone on this forum has successfully installed a Bosal cat #0993721. I installed it on my 96 EX and I know it fits at least a 94-97 EX and maybe other years.

The issue I had was with the cat's flange on the intermediate pipe side of the cat. It was far enough away from the end of the pipe, resulting in a large gap between the flange on the intermediate pipe and the bosal flange. The Springs were beyond fully compressed when the nut was half way on teh bolt... and on one side the bolt was in contact with the cat's hanger.

Strange thing is it would have fit fine if the flange was allowed to travel down the pipe further along the flared end. I think the way they designed the unit is terrible because of this and although the support person there was very helpful, he didn't seem to find any issue with the way it installed on my vehicle. I sent pictures to show what I thought was a significant problem.

Although the cat has been on for two years, I get intermittent P0420 and the exhaust is a little loud. I think there is enough leakage though the other spring clamped gasket that has to take all of the movement at this point. Sorry to go on and on... but I would like to hear if anyone else had issues with this unit or other bosal cats.

Thanks

Old 10-21-2011, 08:08 AM

Just ran across your post while searching something about Bosal.

I just installed a Bosal mid and rear exhaust on my 95 Accord. Bosal it pure CRAP!, and I will never buy their junk again.

Similar problem to yours, fitment. And the pipe they sent is about 1/8 inch diameter smaller than OE.

Support from Bosal is non existent. They do not return emails and there is no phone number on their site.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:38 AM

wunderbra. I was able to resolve my Bosal issue. The customer support was helpful.. product left some to be desired. I basically solved it myself by swapping fasters/springs so there would be no interference. I talked to a guy named George. I could probably look for contact info. I got through to him using a contact phone number as I remember. spoke to a person. Email responses never came from thier general support numbers/email.

I have also used bosal intermediate and tailpipe and thought the fit was pretty good. I don't think I went with their value line. Overall pretty pleased with the pipes, only issues with Cat. Also the "donut" gaskets are a major bitch to get on. always seem to small and they don't stretch easily witout being completely distorted. tried heating and other means. only thing that worked was persistence and some muscle.

Let me know if you want more info.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:22 PM

Yes, please pass on that contact info. I bought mine through Parts Bin, and they know nothing technical.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:38 PM

I had been in contact with George Mosley gmosley@bosalusa.com. I spoke with him over the phone and through email, although I don't see his number anywhere. I originally got in touch with him by using a contact number on a bosal site or document. I looked at bosalna.com and didn't see anything. Not sure where it is hidden, but it was not obvious even back then.

Overall I was satisfied with the exhaust components and the price was more than reasonable. I may have gone through the same place for the pipes... about half the price of brick and mortar locally. I got the cat and gaskets from rockauto. The cat was cheap and I think the root of my MIL codes is an exhuast leak unrelated to their parts. My main issue was that I could not physically comprehend how anyone could attach the spring clamps when they made the cat with a welded hangar right in the way.

Good luck