General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Brake blue plastic stopper and 3rd light housing help

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 03:09 AM
Smile Brake blue plastic stopper and 3rd light housing help

I have a 93 Accord LX 4D, does anyone know the name or part # of the blue plastic brake stopper? I mail ordered what I thought was a stopper but got a different stopper, guess it's not called a stopper. And in the parts picture it is very hard to tell what is what. Now I have had a penny wrapped with duct tape for the last couple years but my cruise control hasn't worked since. I'm just trying to get back to original condition. The brake light is adjusted so I goes on immediately, maybe thats why cruise control doesn't work or is the blue plastic essential to its operation?
Next, how do you remove the 3rd brake light housing? I've unbolted the 2 bolts and undid the 2 plastic fasteners and tried to pry housing from rear deck but it seems to be screwed from underneath and it is not visible from the trunk, any ideas? just trying to remove the bee and mosquito carcass stuck in there.
If there isn't a easy quick fix I'm drilling holes from underneath to hopefully reach screws. I'm not removing all those panels like in the shop manual, those plastic parts get brittle when your car is old and parked outside.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator

I am guessing that your are talking about the brake switch that is on top of the brake pedal? It is #18 in the picture below.

As for the high mount brake light, there should be a nut or bolt that you can access from the trunk to remove the housing. I am pretty sure that you have to access it from the bottom to change the bulb as well.