General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Replacing Seat Belt Stopper Button

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 09:29 PM
sheldon
Unregistered
Default Replacing Seat Belt Stopper Button

I just got a 2002 Accord SE. The car is in very good shape.

However, after driving it for a day or two, I realized it was missing the little stopper button on the driver's seat belt. The button prevents the seat belt tongue from falling to the floor every time you unbuckle the belt. Reaching down and picking up that seat belt tongue gets tiring very quickly.

Turns out that my sister-in-law had the exact same problem with her Accord.

Honda's solution is to sell you a new seat belt.

I went on the internet and almost bought some buttons. But they wanted too much for shipping. Ford will sell you the button for over $20.

Finally, I found an online Nissan dealer selling these buttons for Xterra 2001-2004 at $2.85 US.
Google "Xterra stopper" to find the web page and an installation picture.

With this knowledge, I went to a local Nissan dealer and bought a button for $5 CDN. I can't wait for the price cuts as the higher value of the CDN dollar works its way through the car business.

Installation is simple.

First, find the little hole where the old button was located.

Retract the belt and use masking tape to hold the seat belt tongue above the small hole.

Next, put the large part of the button into the hole on the side of the belt to the outside of the car. Push on the smaller side. Place pliers over the center of the button and squeeze hard to crush the button and rivet it together.

The Nissan parts guy suggested you get a machine screw (flat end) that fits into the rivet hole and crush the button again with pliers to ensure that it stays together.

The Nissan parts bag calls this a "Stopper" with part number of 87832-4P000

Old 10-25-2007, 06:26 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Replacing Seat Belt Stopper Button

Honda sells the stopper buttons also. You give them the interior color code if you want it to match your belt. I think they're less than $2.