General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Brake Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 08:56 PM
Default Brake Replacement

Hi all! I'm back with another annoying question(s)

My brakes are squeaking. Loudly. I don't think it's the lines, because I had those re-made last fall. I tried to look into the tires to check the pads, but I couldn't really see anything. I plan on replacing the front pads, and probably rotors too, because I see some deep scratches on them.

So, my first question is, should I replace the rear pads as well? Is it generally a good idea to do all four at once? I know I have front discs/rear drums, and I found a good deal on some Hawk pads for my Accord.

Also, when I was at Sears a few weeks ago (who said my brakes were fine, go figure), they said that they were unable to drain the rear calipers (while flushing/changing the brake fluid) because the screws were rusted shut, and it would have broken them. Is this something I should be concerned about? Should I replace the rear calipers as well? I have no idea how to tell if those are going back, but I do know I'd rather do it all at once if I can.

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-22-2013, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

You really should do some diagnostics before replacing the pads. Especially since you just had your car to a shop and they did not say the pads were worn.

Is the noise coming from the front or back brakes?

Inspect the pads before replacing. Doesn't the LX have rear drum brakes? Drum brakes last a lot longer than front disc brakes, so don't blindly replace those items.

When I replace pads, I'll do both front or both back. I never replaced the rear pads just because I was doing the front pads.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:12 PM

What type of diagnostics? I'm skeptical that Sears even looked. These are the same guys that left my brake lines hanging for months after they re-did them. But you never know.

Thanks for such a quick response. Guess I'll take the wheels off tomorrow hopefully and look at them.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator

Check the brakes that are making the noise. Was it the front or back brakes?

By checking the brakes, check the brake pads. Compare the inside vs the outside pad. They should be worn about the same. If not, then something is sticking.

I have had brake pads get stuck in the stainless steel clips on the caliper. The pads should be easily removed when you get the caliper lifted.

Here is a good video on disc brake inspection.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:46 PM

Thanks for the video, I love that guy!

I'm 90% sure the noise is coming from the front brakes.