General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Brakes/Brake Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 10:34 PM
Default Brakes/Brake Fluid

Hi. I'm not very mechanic oriented, so I'm asking for help. My brake light as well as theABS lights were on for longer than a month. Then I was told to check the brake fluid. Sure enough, It had none, It was bone dry. As soon as I put some brake fluid in the re both lights turned off. for about 2 weeks everything was fine, Then yesterday my brakes pretty much went bad. The brakes stopped responding to normal stepping and now I had to step on in all the way in and really hard for the car to barely stop. So what happened? how can I check the problem? is this a brake fluid problem or a pad problem? If you can include some sort of diagram or picture when telling me what to check, That'd be Helpful. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Old 04-03-2007, 11:34 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Brakes/Brake Fluid

Your problem with the brake fluid and loss of brake function sounds typical of a bad Master Cylinder. Look at the booster right under the master cylinder to see if there is fluid seeping.
The situation is thus, the brake fluid went somewhere, and finding out where it leaked will solve the problem.
Having the master cylinder be 'dry' may have allowed air to enter the system.
You really should get the brakes repaired ASAP

Old 04-04-2007, 12:16 AM

It had no brake fluid cause I never added any in there. But ever since I put brake fluid 2 weeks ago its still there. The brakes just aren't responding.Now. I'm told that ait may have entered the system. If so, how do I fix it?

Old 04-04-2007, 03:56 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

if the master cylinder was bone dry ,, what do you thing happen to the fluid that was in the reservoir ??
brake fluid does not evaporate from the reservoir,, like Dude said,, there is a leak, perhaps a small leak and over time the reservoir will go empty again ...but brakes is something you should fix properly ASAP, .
i am sure that there is air in the system , and it needs to be bled properly but you might also have an internal leak in the brake master cylinder ,,
I would reccomend that you have the complete brake system checked ( hoses, calipers,master cylinder pads, etc etc )..and repair as needed

Old 04-04-2007, 06:01 AM

Ok. but I added brake fluid to the reservoir 2 weeks ago, and its still all there. If I had a leak, wouldn't it drain through the leaking hole?

how do I bleed the system properly?

Old 04-04-2007, 06:30 AM

The search function is very useful .....but since you're pretty new, I'll help you out (see link below). I just did this procedure this past weekend. Not very hard to do, just need patience. Also, do you have basic mechanic tools? If you do great! If not, you might want to think of getting some if you're going to be working on your car yourself. Good luck!

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/HOW...m_16962/tm.htm