General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Break lights stay on

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 05:20 PM
Default Break lights stay on

Hello,

A neighbor came to my door saying my lights on my car were on. I thought it wried considering I arrived home with plenty of daylight to spare and never turned on the lights. When I checked the car the head lights were off but the break lights were on.

The car light switch was turn off. I turn it on and checked and all the lights came on as normal. Turn off the lights but the break lights were still on. I turned the car on and wedged a board to the break pedal and no change to the lights. I also shifted the car in drive and back to park and still the break lights are on.

What can I check? Should I disconnect the battery so I don't wake with a drained battery?

Thanks for your help.

Old 03-26-2013, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

Easy thing to do is pull the fuse in the under hood fuse panel- stop or tail lights, something like that.

Look on the floor mat for strange little plastic pieces.

I'm betting the plastic stopper has given out.

Attached Thumbnails Break lights stay on-pedal-plug-broken.jpg  
Old 03-26-2013, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

That plastic stopper is supposed to press on a switch/button, when you're NOT pressing on the brake pedal. Its up near the hinge of the brake pedal.

Sometimes that switch gets loose in it's bracket, or sometimes the switch just goes bad.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:31 PM

Thanks, it was the brake petal stopper. Thanks for the tip on the fuse. I removed the fuse for tonight and I'll reinstall it in the morning. I took a pic not knowing exactly where this plug goes into. My camera is bulky and by chance the battery was drained so I only got a few shots. If the pic makes since can someone circle the area where the stopper goes into. I get more shots tomorrow. I take it this part is available at the dealer as the brake petal stopper?

Thanks for your time.

Attached Thumbnails Break lights stay on-brake-0.jpg   Break lights stay on-brake-2.jpg  
Old 03-27-2013, 06:51 AM
Super Moderator

That plug is #20 near the hinge of the brake-pedal arm. It pushes against the plunger of the brake-light switch #15.

It's a couple bucks at the dealer, unless you find something temporary like a rubber cork or something.

Attached Thumbnails Break lights stay on-97-pedals.jpg  
Old 03-27-2013, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator

Yep....those little pieces on the floor mat tell the story.

It is a $3 fix, and takes all of five minutes.....oe part # 46505-SA5-000. Once you have the new one, the hard part is getting your head under there.....move the seat back, whatever. Push the brake pedal with one hand, with the plug in your other, simply push the new plug into place - I think the new ones are white.

After doing this and charging the battery.....verify the brakes are off and work as needed. Also verify the cruise works, assuming it worked before this.

If all good....call it a day

Attached Thumbnails Break lights stay on-brake%25202.jpg  

Last edited by poorman212; 03-27-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:22 PM

Hello,

Thanks for the replies. I was out for while trying to locate a minor oil leak I had for a while that one day turned into a small puddle under the car. I replaced the leaking valve cover gaskets (Felpro) but the puddle continued. Not having the ware-with-all to get under the car I took it to mechanic recommended by a relative. It was the O-ring gasket that goes between the oil filter base and the oil pump assm. That's now fixed.

When the mechanic called to give me the news he asked why my brake lights were on; I told him of the problem. He told me don't worry I know it, I'll replace it with a plastic/nylon one that won't crack like the rubber one. I beleive it is white-tiss in color.

Interesting note; on the day I took the car to this shop I forgot to plug in the 20amp fuse. When I tried to put the car in reverse (auto) the shifter was locked until I replaced the fuse.

Thanks again.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

As I posted, the new ones from the dealer are white. Be sure to check the cruise control works...assuming it worked before all of this.

Sorry, when I suggested pulling the fuse I should have given the "down sides". No brake lights work, no power to the interlock - meaning an auto trans will not come out of gear, ect.....I was just trying to give a quick, no tools needed, solution to turning off the lights and keeping the battery from going bad.

Good to hear you are back on the road