General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burnt out two LEDs in cluster... now what?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 11:27 AM
Default Burnt out two LEDs in cluster... now what?

I ran out of gas earlier this week while the needle was on 1/8th of a tank and the Fuel light wasn't on, but that's a different story. I took the instrument cluster out to change the bulb for the low fuel light and found it wasn't burnt, so I decided to test all other bulbs. With a 9v battery and some wires I applied power to all other bulbs. Inadvertently checkeda LED and saw them light up so went on to the next to inadvertently check another LED. Wasn't until I checked the 2nd LED that I smelled something burning. Went back to the first LED and it wouldn't light again. Went to the 2nd LED and it wouldn't light either. Stopped right there realizing that the LED's are probably 3v.

So now what would you suggest? Radio shack and a soldering iron? It's the two lights for Oil Pressure and voltage. Definiately dont' want to go w/o oil pressure light. Does anyone know actual voltage of these little LED's so I can find a correct replacement?

Old 08-18-2007, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: Burnt out two LEDs in cluster... now what?

I checked latest manual I have (95-98 Acura 2.5 TL) and they don't show LED's for these lights but 1.4w mini bulbs. All are direct from battery (12V+). Can youremove the circuit board to access the LED's? Surface mounts can be difficult to repair. Radio Shack is probably simplest option.

good luck