General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C blows warm air and cold at same time

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 07:27 PM
Default 2005 Accord 2.4L A/C blows warm & cold air same time

I have a 2005 Accord with 132K on the clock. Last year the field coil went bad on the A/C compressor, replaced the field coil without dis-connecting the compressor from the system. Just this week, the A/C started blowing warm air from the drivers side and cold air from the passenger side. This is NOT a dual comfort zoned system, only one temperature controller for the car! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Cbr1000f; 04-30-2013 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Did not put correct title in
Old 05-01-2013, 02:26 AM
Default I also have a similar problem with my AC system

I drive a Honda Accord 2006 V6. 3 weeks ago, I topped the gas a little because I thought it would make it cooler. Barely 5 minutes after, the compressor coil and clutch got burnt. I have replaced it several times and have reduced the gas changed the thermostat and eventually bought a new engine (the older one started smoking and shortening engine oil) and had a new compressor fitted. The clutch and coil burned again. I'm at a loss and all the mechanics can't seem to help. It cools for some time, like 10 to 20 minutes and then it gets burnt. I'm confused and frustrated. Please help me anyone

Old 05-01-2013, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Sweetsasha
I drive a Honda Accord 2006 V6. 3 weeks ago, I topped the gas a little because I thought it would make it cooler. Barely 5 minutes after, the compressor coil and clutch got burnt. I have replaced it several times and have reduced the gas changed the thermostat and eventually bought a new engine (the older one started smoking and shortening engine oil) and had a new compressor fitted. The clutch and coil burned again. I'm at a loss and all the mechanics can't seem to help. It cools for some time, like 10 to 20 minutes and then it gets burnt. I'm confused and frustrated. Please help me anyone
Am I reading this correctly; you bought a new engine because your air conditioning wasn't working properly?

Old 05-02-2013, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Cbr1000f
I have a 2005 Accord with 132K on the clock. Last year the field coil went bad on the A/C compressor, replaced the field coil without dis-connecting the compressor from the system. Just this week, the A/C started blowing warm air from the drivers side and cold air from the passenger side. This is NOT a dual comfort zoned system, only one temperature controller for the car! Any help would be greatly appreciated.
"CBR"- Some will call me crazy but IMO you have a low charge in the AC system. Can you, or someone, check the high and low side pressures?

Old 06-17-2013, 12:32 PM
Default Blowing hot drivers side, cold passenger side???

I have a 2004 accord EX V-6 with the dual control system.
Last week in the heat I turned on the A/C and it blows hot on the drivers side and ice cold on the passenger side.
The dual button was on and I turned both temp controls down all the way. I also turned off the dual control and made sure the temp control was down also.
Didn't make a difference. Still blowing hot on the drivers side.
Is there a control valve that could have gone bad?
Please help as I have to take this car on a road trip tomorrow.
Thanks!

Old 06-17-2013, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator

One possibility is a low charge of refrigerant. That's one common reason for uneven cooling across the evaporator.

Another is a broken or disconnected linkage to the air-blend door at the drivers side. I never owned one with dual temperature controls, so I'm a little vague about exactly how to check that out.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bruce960
I have a 2004 accord EX V-6 with the dual control system.
Last week in the heat I turned on the A/C and it blows hot on the drivers side and ice cold on the passenger side.
The dual button was on and I turned both temp controls down all the way. I also turned off the dual control and made sure the temp control was down also.
Didn't make a difference. Still blowing hot on the drivers side.
Is there a control valve that could have gone bad?
Please help as I have to take this car on a road trip tomorrow.
Thanks!

There is also a simple DIY way of checking for HVAC codes on these......see the sticky at the top of this section - Common DIY Threads and Info

Old 06-19-2013, 07:12 PM

After doing some more homework, I was told by Advance Auto Parts that my problem was the blend door. As a matter of fact, it was not the blend door! I found out that the system was low on freon! The evaporator is dual zoned where the passenger side gets the cold from the bottom of the evaporator and the drivers side gets it from the top of the evaporator. I put in just one can of refrigerant and the system is as cold as a well diggers backside! Problem is solved!!

Old 06-20-2013, 07:22 AM
Super Moderator

Glad you got it figured out & fixed. And THANK YOU for posting the end of the story.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by poorman212
"CBR"- Some will call me crazy but IMO you have a low charge in the AC system. Can you, or someone, check the high and low side pressures?
Cool.....I'm not as stupid as I thought