General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C Compressor Clutch Not Engaging

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 07:30 PM
Question A/C Compressor Clutch Not Engaging

2008 Honda Accord Coupe EX 3.5L

A/C started blowing hot air yesterday. I turned the car off for about an hour and when I turned it back on it was blowing cold air again for about an hour drive. After I turned the car off again, hot air and the cold air has yet to return.

Troubleshooting...

I first checked the air mix valves inside the cabin. Both seem to be fully functional. I then thought my coolant must be low so I had it recharged but the clutch was not engaged while the shop was recharging it. They said it had 5oz recovered and inserted a total of 15oz. The clutch never engaged after filling it.

I thought perhaps it was the relay. I purchased a new relay and still nothing.

I tried to jump the clutch from the battery to the relay... again, nothing.

I'm now trying to jump from the battery to the compressor directly but I can't find the connection.

Any ideas?

Old 09-19-2018, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Excess clutch gap preventing clutch engagement or open clutch coil. Check South Main Auto channel on youtube for honda civic w/ clutch gap issue. Open coil is confirmed w/ meter set to Ohms. Look 3-4 ohms for good coil.

good luck

Old 09-19-2018, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Excess clutch gap preventing clutch engagement or open clutch coil. Check South Main Auto channel on youtube for honda civic w/ clutch gap issue. Open coil is confirmed w/ meter set to Ohms. Look 3-4 ohms for good coil.

good luck
Thanks for the information. I found a totaled 2011 with 63 miles on it. Pulling the compressor off of it for $75. I'll do a swap and save myself the hassle. Wish me luck.