General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a/c compressor fuse keeps blowing

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 12:49 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default a/c compressor fuse keeps blowing

hi all- need little help. 7.5 ac relay fuse keeps blowing whenever i turn ac button on. ac never turns on because fuse blows immediately after pusshing ac power button. read as much as possible on t his and sorry if i missed my answer already . checked ac compressor relay and not the problem (installed a new one). checked cables with voltmeter and all read 0.00,c which i think is what should read. took relay off and trried ac and off course it blew the fuse. disconncted ac comprssor cable from power cable and thats the only Time fuse doesnt blow. off course, compressor doesnt turn on but jus making sure that fuse didnt blow reagrdless.

i wired cable from positive terminal and made contact with ac compressor cable with vehicle turned on and ac compressor does make a click sound and turns like it normally would. .........if it's not some exposed wire makin contact with something and creating short (checked all wires), what else could it be?? from research and other posts, there is the possibility of a bad coil, or clutch?? is that possible? how can i find out? so lost here. thank you so much for any assistance i can get..

ps-does a 1990 accord ac compressor fit a 1992?

Old 08-05-2011, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

If fuse blew when you removed the AC relay, you have a fault ahead of the relay, unless you jumpered across the relay contacts.

Suggest measuring clutch coil resistance. It should be 3.6 +/- 0.2 ohms. If much below this spec, there is an internal short in the clutch coil that's causing fuses to blow.

Yes, I suspect a 90 Accord compressor would fit.

However, you could repair yours (if clutch coil is shorted) by replacing clutch coil. This would be easier than compressor replacement as you would not have to discharge system. You may be able to transfer clutch coil from your 90 compressor to your 92. Let me know if you want to do this and I'll post instructions.

good luck

Old 08-05-2011, 02:01 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Ok. Took power steering pump and alternator off and began to take out ac compressor. Read your reply and you say discharge is not necessary if only swaping coils? I would appreciated if you could post instructions on how to change coils. Thank you so much for quick reply. Btw, how would I test ohms on coil? I have access to ac compressor now. Thanks again.

Old 08-05-2011, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

After removing alternator and PS pump, you remove the bolts securing the compressor to the compressor mount frame. This allows enough room to pull the compressor back and tilt upward.

W/ this access, you remove the single 6mm bolt holding the clutch plate and remove the clutch plate. Don't lose the shims underneath the clutch plate.

Next you'll need a set of snap ring pliers to reach into the end of the compressor pulley and release the snap ring holding the pulley assy in place to the compressor end. Once you get the snap ring out, you pull the pulley off and tap the clutch coil off w/ light taps from a hammer.

Reverse installation w/ replacement coil.

Make sure your pulley bearing is good. If necessary, you can press the pulley bearing out and repack or replace. There may be some "staking" that holds the pulley bearing in place. You grind these way after pressing bearing out to ease pressing new bearing into place.

good luck