General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C help...charges and then doesn't work.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 05:47 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default A/C help...charges and then doesn't work.

The a/c hasn't been a problem in our car because I roll the windows down. But my wife took it the other day and cried about the ac not working. So I bought a recharge kit to run on it. I charged it to the beginning of the 'green' area. It wouldn't charge anymore then that but the air was working perfectly.

The next day, the wife is driving it and says its not blowing as cold and you could actually 'see the air' coming out of the vents. By the end of the day, it was blowing warm air. I checked the pressure on it and it was in the 'red' area on the gauge. I decided to give it a day to see what happened. She took it the next day and it was blowing hot air...nothing cool about it at all. I don't want to it another recharge my of it's not going to do any good - which I don't think it would.

My guess would be the compressor...but that's just a bold guess based on no ac know how. Anyone care to give suggestions?

It's a 96 accord 2.2 vtec auto.

Old 07-15-2012, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

You likely have one or more leaks. As charge is lost, the evaporator may freeze up because the temp sensor is too high on the evaporator (mist out of vents is frosty air). As leak progressed, the low pressure switch will eventually kill the compressor electrical drive to protect the compressor.

Fix is to find leaks, repair leaks, replace receiver/drier, vaccuum and recharge.

Likely leak sites are hose crimps, end connections, evaporator, and compressor shaft seal. You can have an AC shop perform a detailed leak inspection and then repair yourself.

Suggest a complete overhaul; pull evaporator and replace expansion valve and thermal feedback bulb orings, replace all connection orings, flush condensor and hoses, replace receiver/drier 5-6 oz of new DE PAG oil, vacuum and recharge.

A manifold gauge set and vacuum pump are essential. Harbor Freight overs both for about $150 total.

Leaks are virtually a certainty w/ a system of this age.

good luck

Old 07-15-2012, 06:47 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
You likely have one or more leaks. As charge is lost, the evaporator may freeze up because the temp sensor is too high on the evaporator (mist out of vents is frosty air). As leak progressed, the low pressure switch will eventually kill the compressor electrical drive to protect the compressor.

Fix is to find leaks, repair leaks, replace receiver/drier, vaccuum and recharge.

Likely leak sites are hose crimps, end connections, evaporator, and compressor shaft seal. You can have an AC shop perform a detailed leak inspection and then repair yourself.

Suggest a complete overhaul; pull evaporator and replace expansion valve and thermal feedback bulb orings, replace all connection orings, flush condensor and hoses, replace receiver/drier 5-6 oz of new DE PAG oil, vacuum and recharge.

A manifold gauge set and vacuum pump are essential. Harbor Freight overs both for about $150 total.

Leaks are virtually a certainty w/ a system of this age.

good luck
I'll be under that hood doing an EGR port cleaning tomorrow, so I'll see if I can find some leaks at the same time. Thanks for the great information.