General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

A/C Just Quit - Think It Is Electrical

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 11:01 PM
Default A/C Just Quit - Think It Is Electrical

1st time here. I have a '99 Accord EX V6 (235K miles) and my A/C quit today (auto-temp control system). It was working just fine until I noticed it starting to get warmer in the car as I was driving down the highway. If I adjust the temp all the way down, nothing happens - fan does not run in auto position and don't feel the compressor kicking in. I turned the fan control to manual and adjusted it up - no fan at all until I get the control to the max position, then the fan comes on full blast, but still no cooling. If I move the fan control just a little less than max, the fan shuts off - no cooling. Hitting the A/C on/off button does nothing except change the display.

I am guessing the fan control switch is bad and that somehow keeps the A/C compressor from coming on, but these are uncharted waters for me. I have fixed most other things on this car, but never worked on the A/C. If anyone has any input on how to correct this, I would be most appreciative.

Mike

Old 04-22-2012, 05:58 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Is this a infinitely-variable speed fan, or incremental speed position fan. Some w/ I-V speed, have a power transistor that modulates the voltage to the fan that will go out. I've had to replace this piece (plug in componentO on my 03 Acura MDX and I know it's used on other Honda/Acura products.

If you feel comfortable w/ electrical problems, I would recommend getting a Honda shop manual for car. Check Online Manuals post in DIY forum for a free download, or go to ebay seller "automanualsource" for a $21.99 download manual. This will schematics and diagnostic procedures to trace your problem.

good luck

Old 04-23-2012, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Is this a infinitely-variable speed fan, or incremental speed position fan....
Yes, it is an I-V type. A co-worker was saying the same about replacing a resistor. His was in a compartment on the fan motor. Would that be the same on the Honda Or would it be on the switch in the dash?

Thanks for your help!

Old 04-23-2012, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator

Again, I would try to get the codes. For the auto HVAC try this

Attached Thumbnails A/C Just Quit - Think It Is Electrical-6th-gen-hvac-auto-dtc.jpg  
Old 04-23-2012, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by poorman212
Again, I would try to get the codes. For the auto HVAC try this
This is interesting. Thank you so much - didn't know there was such a self-diagnostic built into it. After reading the instructions, I did a search for the codes corresponding to each of the segments, and have yet to locate them. Would you possibly have a link to the code definitions?

Thanks, again, to all that have replied. Once I actually fix this, will post my findings.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

Prob still going to be something in the blower system but here you go

Attached Thumbnails A/C Just Quit - Think It Is Electrical-6th-gen-hvac-auto-dtc-codes.jpg  
Old 04-24-2012, 07:56 PM

Thank you so much! Won't be able to do anything now until this weekend, but will let you know how it goes. Thanks, again!

Old 05-11-2012, 05:55 PM
Default Fixed!

I FINALLY had time to work on my accord today. Ran the climate control self diagnostics with result "N", a problem in the blower motor circuit. Pulled the blower motor resistor, put an ohm meter across the contacts in all possible combinations, and had an open circuit on all. Called around and found, to my surprise, that not only was the honda dealership the only one with the resistor in stock, but they were less expensive than the other parts stores by as much as $25! (dealer price was $56.33 + tax) Put the new one in, and the system works like new!

Thanks again to everyone for their input!