General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C Not blowing cold air

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 04:11 PM
Default A/C Not blowing cold air

Hey guys,

The A/C in my 2001 Accord LX works just fine, just the air isn't as cold as it should be. I bought a can of "EZ Chill" R-134a Refridgerant with leak sealer from walmart (It has a pressure gauge and filling tube). I have two issues.

1: I'm not exactly sure where the low side access valve is. The owner's manual isn't detailed enough to show me where it is and I can't find anything helpful on forums. Can anyone post a picture for me?

2: I have read that if you breach the system, that the drier will absorb outside too much outside moisture and I will have to replace it, however, I live in a very dry area (Roughly 15% humidity) where the daily summer temp is over 100F.

Old 07-07-2012, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator

I suggest that you use a manifold gauge for your car and test both the high and low side pressures. This along with the outside temperature and humidity + the temperature of air coming out of the center vent will tell you if the R134a charge is low. We can give you more details about this procedure.

You might want to call your local auto parts store as they may have a manifold as a loaner tool.

I wouldn't trust that gauge that comes with the can.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Do yourself a favor and get a can of pure R134a. Leak sealer can cause problems you don't currently have; blocked expansion valve or other blockage. This stuff is a rip-off.

As PAH suggests, get a loaner set of ac manifold w/ gauges. Go to youtube and review the videos on how to charge your ac system. Make sure you are comfortable hooking/unhooking the gauges. Wear safety glasses as most suggest.

Some tips you may not see.

1) Purge air from manifold high side, low side, and center branch (if connected to refrigerant supply) by cracking the nuts at the manifold gauge set ends after connecting to auto and refrigerant supply, and opening the hose end valves. Just a short blast will clear trapped air. This prevents introduction of any air into system when you charge.

2) When you charge through the center hose, close refrigerant supply can valve or tap when charging is complete. Low side manifold valve should be closed since charging is complete. Now close high side hose end valve, and open the high side manifold valve. This makes high side hose refrigerant content available to low side. When compressor is engaged, open low side manifold valve slightly and allow compressor to pull trapped R134a into system. Close low side when low side pressure is at minimum. Close low side hose end valve, and disconnect high and low sides. This minimizes the amount of refrigerant lost in disconnecting.

3) Charging w/o fully emptying and vacuuming the system is tricky at best, even w/ an ac manifold gauge set. I charge till high side is roughly 2.5*ambient air temp in psi entering condensor (gauge in front grill). Low side should reach 25-30 psi depending on cabin air temperature. Charge only in the shade w/ doors closed, fans on max, recirculate w/ engine at 1500-2000 rpm. Temps in mid-40's are usually possible w/ good working system, if temps aren't too brutal. You should see a pull-down of 35-45F, humidity dependent. Pulldown is cabin air floor temp-center vent exit temp.

good luck