General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC problem: Not blowing cold air after heater fix.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 07:47 AM
Default AC problem: Not blowing cold air after heater fix.

When I first bought my used Accord it had all kinds of issues but it's one redeeming thing was that it had ice cold A/C. The heater didn't work though and was fine for me because I never used the heater in the winter anyways. Well, I ended up passing my Accord to my wife after buying a Nissan 240SX for myself and she would die without a heater.

Heres where the problem started. I took the car to a mechanic to replace some motor mounts/tranny mount. While he was at it I asked him to check out the heater. When I went to pick up the car, he told me that he went ahead and fixed the heater free of charge. Had to be an easy fix. He also gave me a great deal on the mount install. Anyways, on the way home I just thought I'd check to see if the A/C still worked and sure enough, it did not. Not even 24hrs later, the A/C did not work anymore and I never had time to take it back to him.

Fast forward a year and a half, my wife survives a triple digit 2011 summer with no A/C and we take it back in to the same mechanic a few months ago. He claims there is a problem with a "hose" and wants $100. In addition he tells me a belt that I replaced 6 months prior needs to be replaced when it is clear as day that the belt is brand new, shiny with bright yellow logos. Is this guy pulling a fast one on me or is there really something wrong with one of the hoses??

A/C blows but the air is warm. When the **** is turned to heat, the air becomes very hot. Heater valve works fine. Everything seems fine, I just can't figure out what he did to my A/C that he tried to set me up for a year ago. I bought a can of refrigerant with bright yellow dye and although I used the whole can I don't think any of it made it into the cooling system. The hose was leaky and didn't get much of a tight seal. A complete waste and a giant mess of bright neon yellow under my hood. Sorry for the wall of text. Just trying to be thorough.

tl;dr
AC was ice cold when I got the car. Took to mechanic to fix heater but now AC no longer works. Waited a year, the same mechanic now wants $100 to fix the AC he broke.

Last edited by ShetHonda; 07-05-2012 at 10:25 AM.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator

What year is this Accord?

Is the compressor running when you turn on the AC - or do both cooling fans come on when the ac is on?

Old 07-05-2012, 10:24 AM

Sorry about that. 95 Accord EX 2.2 VTEC Automatic. Also, my wife just left for work, I'll have to check on those things when she gets back in. Thanks.

Last edited by ShetHonda; 07-05-2012 at 10:27 AM.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

No problem. It could be the cable to the heater control valve was off and he just put it back on.

The issue now could be that it has come back off and the valve is "open" allowing hot coolant to the heater core....which means you are heating up the cold air. Search for a few recent posts by me and/or Redbull-1 talking about the blend door adjustment. I'm away from my computer (using someone elses) so I don't have all of my pic's and that to share right now.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:54 AM

I'll look for those. I think I might have come across them in my searches just wasn't sure if thats what my problem was. Thanks.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

Here are some threads Poorman212 was referring to. However, the leak at the A/C hoses (e.g. yellow dye) sound like a different problem now.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...-accord-48471/

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...p-d-i-y-48435/

Old 07-05-2012, 11:12 AM

Actually, the hose from the can of Freon is what was leaking. It was a bad can right off the shelf and I lost the receipt to return it so I used the rest of it. That and I couldn't get it to properly seal onto the AC hose until the can was almost empty.

Thanks for the links. That was the page I came across earlier but I had lost it and couldn't find it again. I'll try those later tonight and report back.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks Redbull

Again, this might be the case IF the compressor is coming on. If the copmressor and BOTH fans are not coming on....something else is going on.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:22 PM
Super Moderator

This may or may not be your case; however, I will include the additional info.

Note: Early production year 1995 Accords air/mix control cables can be adjusted. Do not try to adjust late production year 1995 Accords, as they came with a non-adjustable air/mix control cable.

The first set of instructions is in regards to air/mix control cable adjustment and heater control cable adjustment, applicable to 1994 & early-production 1995 Accords.

The second set of instructions is only heater (water) valve cable adjustment for late production 95 Accords, 96, and 97 Accords and other Hondas. -- As stated previously, do not try to adjust the air/mix control cable on later Accords (e.g., late-production year 95 and later Accords).

Attached Thumbnails AC problem: Not blowing cold air after heater fix.-94-early-production-95-accords-part-1.jpg   AC problem: Not blowing cold air after heater fix.-94-early-production-95-accords-part-2.jpg   AC problem: Not blowing cold air after heater fix.-94-early-production-95-accords-part-3.jpg   AC problem: Not blowing cold air after heater fix.-heater-water-valve-cable-adjustment.jpg   AC problem: Not blowing cold air after heater fix.-heater-water-valve-cable-adjustment-continued.jpg