General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

a/c problems on my 2003 ex accord

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 09:39 AM
Default a/c problems on my 2003 ex accord

I was driving and all of a sudden my a/c would not blow cold air but it is blowing air! I took it somewhere and they said that the pressure was too high which means my compressor is out but, another guy told me that if the pressure is to high then it could be something else and that i don't need to replace the compressor. He also told me he would check it for 60 bucks. I am assuming he was going to do the same thing the other guy did. i have a 2003 Honda accord ex. Could it be my compressor and what should i do to save some money because they are charging me 1500 to get the compressor replaced!

Old 09-15-2010, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

There is not much you can do w/o some tools to diagnose the problem.

First test is usually a static pressure check to see if the sytem has enough charge to cause the compressor to engage. If pressure is too low, the system is disabled by the ECU to prevent compressor damage.

There is one potential check that is relatively easy to do, if you can reach the compressor clutch face w/ a stick. W/ engine running rap (carefully!) the clutch face sharply w/ a hefty stick. If clutch engages and cooling begins, the problem is diagnosed. Too much clutch plate gap is preventing the magnetic field of the clutch coil from engaging the plate.

The fix can be a bit difficult, since the compressor is located on the lower side of the engine. It may be possible to remove parts and access the compressor w/o discharging and removing. Once access is available, the clutch plate is removed and a thin shim beneath the clutch plate is removed to reduce clutch plate gap to w/i specification. There may be more than one shim under the clutch plate. Specification is 0.014-0.024 inches for gap.

good luck

Old 09-15-2010, 11:03 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

take the car to a shop that specializes on Honda or the dealer and have it properly diagnosed ,,,,,,many reasons why a/c would not blow cold..( fuses, relays, switch, a/c coil, clutch gap too wide, bad clutch , low of freon which means that there is a leak, bad condenser, a/c fan inop , raising the pressure thus a/c shuts off, bad compressor, etc, etc ,)
in other words have it diagnosed properly . cheaper than buying all the proper tools needed for you to diagnose it ..and don't buy any parts till you know exactly what is wrong

Old 09-15-2010, 11:57 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Do you know what the pressure readings were on low and highs sides if the compressor clutch isn’t engaging the pressure equalizes. It will have the same reading for both sides which would be High pressure on the low side and lower than normal on the high side. I would start with making sure the clutch is engaging, then the pressures. Has Freon but added recently?

A brand new Denso Compressor for your Accord is around $300 as I have replaced the one on my 2000EX. It was seizing up and making the belt slip but most likely from sitting for a year with a bad motor, but had just a tiny amount of oil in the compressor. If you do have to get a compressor the Denso was an exact replacement.