General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

camshaft tdc issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 11:27 AM
Default camshaft tdc issue

i have a 2003 accord ex 3.0 i replaced the timing belt. i checked all of the timing marks on the cams abd crank. started it up and immediately shut it off because it was out of time. i removed all if the covers again and saw that the back cam was out of tdc. i removed the belt and rotated the cam to tdc. i noticed that the front cam was off by a tooth. i attempted to rotate it clockwise but it came to a hard stop at the 9 o'clock position. the crank is in tdc. what did i do wrong and how do i correct it?

Old 08-29-2017, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Since you're only 1 tooth off rotate CCW to reach correct position. Timing belt must be removed to realign both cams and crank.

PS, You may have damaged valves running while misaligned.

good luck

Old 08-29-2017, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by sbritt
i have a 2003 accord ex 3.0 i replaced the timing belt. i checked all of the timing marks on the cams abd crank. started it up and immediately shut it off because it was out of time. i removed all if the covers again and saw that the back cam was out of tdc. i removed the belt and rotated the cam to tdc. i noticed that the front cam was off by a tooth. i attempted to rotate it clockwise but it came to a hard stop at the 9 o'clock position. the crank is in tdc. what did i do wrong and how do i correct it?
Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Since you're only 1 tooth off rotate CCW to reach correct position. Timing belt must be removed to realign both cams and crank.

PS, You may have damaged valves running while misaligned.

good luck
thanks. so I'll rotate the front cam ccw back to tdc? the belt was already off when i attempted to correct my mistake, i hope it didn't ruin the motor. thanks again

Old 08-29-2017, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by sbritt
thanks. so I'll rotate the front cam ccw back to tdc? the belt was already off when i attempted to correct my mistake, i hope it didn't ruin the motor. thanks again
i rotated ccw with no problems. still off a tooth.