General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Can this dent be fixed?

Old 07-09-2011, 07:23 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Can this dent be fixed?

I got a major sent of dents on my car recently and have shown them in the pictures below. I managed to apply some primer and paint it myself temporarily but I was just wondering if these dents can be pulled out (at least a few of them if not everything) using a suction cup or some other economical method.

I was checking out some youtube videos and came to know that some of the techniques are suction cup, hammer-dolly, putty-filler, metal replacement. Door replacement is out of question for me and putty-filler looks like it requires a lot of professional equipment so I am down to two: suction cup and hammer-dolly.

Does anyone have an advice please?

Old 07-09-2011, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

I would take it to a body shop just to get an estimate on what needs to be fixed. I am wondering if the problem is just with the doors or if something else needs replaced (like the pillar or a messed up unibody frame). The reason I suggest this is that the doors are hitting the rocker panel in that last picture. I'm not sure if just banged up doors would cause that.

As for the method to repair, how good do you want this to look? What is your budget to repair?

Why are replacing the doors out of the question?

Old 07-09-2011, 07:52 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Oh... I see what you're saying. I should have mentioned that I got this in a side-collision while changing lanes. Unfortunately the other car was in my blind spot (the other car's head lights were broken and my door was left in this state). I did get some estimates from $1,800 to $4,700 I figured I could just buy a new used car with that money. In addition, my car has 160K miles on it but is a Honda 2000 model though so I thought I will be careful in spending such large amounts because I am not sure how long the car will still last though it works pretty good.

I did find some door online in a junkyard (http://www.car-part.com) and it costs me $300-$480. The only problem is I am not sure how to replace the door. I searched online to find some instructions but no one really wrote how to dismantle a car. Also, I was a little skeptical because a friend of my told me it is hard to find a door that fits exactly to my car and that I could make it look worse if the colors don't match! As for how I want it to look, anything better than the current look will be good enough

EDIT: I managed to find an old photo that I clicked before repairing anything just in case.

Last edited by Legend; 07-09-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator

I didn't realize that this is a coupe. That rear panel will be expensive to replace. It is welded in place. I can't tell how damaged it is from the picture.

Car-part.com will search for doors that will fit your car. You can look at the prices as well.

Take a look at the estimates for the repairs to see what they were going to replace. I can't tell if the pillar where the back edge of the door meets is damaged.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:20 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thank you for your help. As far as I can tell, the pillar is not damaged. The door closes perfectly fine. Oh.. would some extra pictures help? I requested for a quote from Car-parts. Would you have any suggestions on what price I should be looking for? Also, where do people generally find instructions to do door replacements or do I just learn by doing?

Old 07-09-2011, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator

The factory shop manual has all of that information. You can find one on Ebay as a pdf. I got one for my TSX for $21.99 from automanualsource. You will have to figure out how and where to disconnect the wire harness. Then the door should be bolted on the hinges.

You can search for door, front on that car-part.com site. I would list them by distance to see what is available in your area. Some of the parts have a price listed next to them.

That back panel is pretty beat up too. You may be able to push it out from inside of the car using a roller. You may have to remove the back seat to get better access. I have no idea how good it will look.

It is really up to you on how much effort and money you want to put into the repair. Plus there is some rust in the wheel well from your other post.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:44 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Yes. I agree with you completely. I ordered some repair stuff today (suction cup, paints etc.) I will see if I can find some door nearby where I can go and check it out.

Basically, I am ok with investing some money but not too much money. Thank you very much for your timely help. I will get the manual as you suggested. By the way, can you point me to which manual I should be looking for? On eBay I did see a user manual. Is that it?

Last edited by Legend; 07-09-2011 at 10:48 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:02 PM
Super Moderator

Just search for the item number below on Ebay.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:05 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Awesome! Thank you. I really appreciate your help.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:07 PM
Administrator

Good information PA..as always...