General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can Timing Belt Replacment Fry My Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 10:26 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Can Timing Belt Replacment Fry My Engine?

ORIGINAL: PAhonda

The oil pickup could have been pinched off or broken off and cause the engine to be starved of oil too.
\
i have seen that before,, but the oil lite should come on, at least on the ones that i have seen it was on..

Old 09-21-2007, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

On earlier 4-cyl. the oil pump is driven by the rear balance shaft through a gear connection. If the balancer belt (smaller of the two belts) were misintalled, and the rear balance shaft was not turning, you would have no oil pump pressure. However, the engine oil light should have come on immediately.

good luck

Old 09-21-2007, 09:03 AM

I agree with dh that you should not have gone ahead and replaced your engine. You should have given that shop time to assess the problem and fix it on their own. Their liability insurance will likely handle this, and it is not going to look good that you replaced the engine before you even told them about the problem.

Good luck

Old 09-21-2007, 12:02 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

well if he didnt have another car, he would have no choice but to fix it to get to work and back.

Old 09-21-2007, 12:32 PM

Here is the oil pump assemblyfor a 00 Accord 4 cyl.:
Name:  Oilpump6-1.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  12.3 KB

Here's one from a 92 that has had the crank seal removed (notice the provisions in the oil pump gear with which the crank must mate) :
Name:  Oilpump2.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  31.8 KB

Closeup of the area that is normally obscured by the crank seal that better shows those provisions:
Name:  Oilpump3.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  13.3 KB

End of crank showing pulley area with keyway (red arrow), crank seal surface (black arrow), and oilpump surface with flat area to mate withoil pump gear (yellow):

Back of the oil pump assembly showing plate over oil pump gear:
Name:  Oilpump4.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  25.4 KB

Exploded view of 92oil pump assembly showing oil gear (12), gear ring (13), and cover plate (9):
Name:  Oilpump7.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  11.4 KB

Photo of oil pump gears for Acura that are probably very similar to that of Accord:
Name:  IntegraOPG.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  4.9 KB

Direction of oil flow through oil pump assembly (I think):
Name:  oilpump5.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  38.1 KB

By it's almost bullet-proof design, if the pan had adequate oil in it, and the pickup flowed freely, I very much doubt if replacing the belts, sealsand water pump would cause the oil distribution system to fail. That being said, however, I find it almost impossible to believe that the timing job and bearing failure are unrelated. That's far too much coincidence for me to swallow in one gulp.

Old 09-22-2007, 02:45 PM

thanks for the pictures tony - that was a great help. i agree that it is too conincidental. but i am having a hard time figuring out theconnection between what the shop did and how it could have caused the oil pressure to go away?

Old 09-22-2007, 04:30 PM

ORIGINAL: PAhonda
I would suggest that you check that the oil pan isn't dented in. The engine has to be jacked up (supported) when changing a timing belt, because an motor mount is removed. You should used a piece of wood to prevent denting the oil pan. The oil pickup could have been pinched off or broken off and cause the engine to be starved of oil too.
That is exactly what I'd be doing first thing - checking the condition of the oilpan.

Did you drain the oil when you removed the engine? If so, exactly how much was in there?

Was the oilfilter damaged, by any chance?

If you still have access to the engine, you can remove the oil pan andcheck the oil pick-up for debris that may have plugged it.

Good luck.