General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't figure this out.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 10:08 AM
Question Can't figure this out.

Ok I have a 1996 Accord EX. Tuesday got a P0740 Code. Hooked it up to the scan tool it said TCC Solenoid. Changed the solenoid on Friday afternoon after work. Drove the car approx. 15 miles to Wal Mart. Got back in started up fine drove on about 4 miles later and thank god on my street the car just shut off. Put it in neutral and it started back up, couple of seconds later it did it again. Luckily got it to my house, let it run, ran for like a minute literally and shut off again. I checked the passages when I changed the TCC solenoid and there was some debris in there, and the A/T fluid was low. I added some last night and it did the same thing. I know it needs a A/T Flush and refill which I was planning on doing today at work, does anybody have any idea of what could be going on, there is no CEL or Codes stored in ECU. Thanks to everyone in advance!!!

Old 02-01-2014, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

P0740 is not an electrical fault of the TCC Lockup solenoid electrical circuit. It is hydraulic fault of the TCC lockup hydraulic circuit. There can be several problems, but all prevent the TCC from locking on command. When TCM detects slippage between engine and wheels when lockup should prevent slippage, P0740 is set. +

I had this code on a 2.5 Acura TL and had to live w/ code till I got rid of car. I flushed, removed solenoids, cleaned screens, reinstalled, etc all to no effect.

Removing any debris from lockup solenoids might fix, but likely a temporary fix.

See following video for more explanation. A bit long, but this guy knows his stuff.

good luck

Last edited by TexasHonda; 02-01-2014 at 06:21 PM.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:23 PM

Can you explain why the car will start and not stay running it sounds like its somekind problem within the distributor. I just changed the coil, I'm thinking it's maybe the ingniter, but I haven't had the chance to really check it yet.

Old 02-01-2014, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

If it will start, problem is likely related to idle air control valve (IACV), possibly stuck closed due to dirt/oil. Clean throttle plate, IACV movement, inlet/outlet ports w/ throttle body cleaner.

good luck

Old 02-01-2014, 07:32 PM

its possible that the ignition switch is faulty and it is a complete coincidence. It makes no sense that the trans solenoid would cause the car to turn off unless you pushed a wire aside and loosened/broke it

Last edited by johnrmcnary; 02-01-2014 at 07:33 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-02-2014, 12:45 PM

Yeah that's what I thought too. The two problems are totally unrelated. I work for a Chevrolet dealership ( go figure I drive a Honda), so I'll clean the throttle body and do a A/T flush this week. So today it's really nice out and I decided to take another look at the car, I started it up took out some trash did some things in the house and came back out and it was still running. At least for 15 min. So I'm going to let it sit for like 30 min and try it again and see how long it runs for. But real quick do you think clogged EGR ports could also be hindering it from running steady?? Thanks again guys!

Old 02-02-2014, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

Clogged EGR ports will cause the car to stumble a bit around 1800-2200 rpm.

Recheck your codes and post the actual code(s) on here. Also, does your check engine light turn on for about two seconds when you first turn the key to the II position (the is the bulb check). Also, does the check engine light turn on while driving?

How many miles are on the spark plugs? Also, the same question for the distributor cap, distributor rotor, and air filter.