General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Doctors-Diagnosis needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 06:08 PM
Default Car Doctors-Diagnosis needed

Ok have been having issues with my car and not really driving it much at all since I had it inspected in August ...seriously mostly parked.. Someoen told meit wa the trans. I can't believe it is the trans maybe I am I denial.
I started having the issue after my mechanic added a quart of trans fluid because when I had it inspected he said it was low. I noticed the car ran differently on the way home. I never really thought about it until now and I am wondering if there could be a connection. I am sure he did not use Honda trans fluid if it matters. He is a mechanic that has treatd me fairly in recent years and has not really replaced much on the car. ( other shops did though). The engine light was on before an he told me it was a catalytic converter. Another shop todl me it was the trans. I am afraid to drive it because it goes slow and does not want to go over 15 miles without sounding bad and I drove it to get gas today and one time I hear a click like the sound a wind shield wiper makes- I just heard it once. I have to decide what to do since i am paying insurance adn it is just sitting. ANY ideas? Do you think a draining of the trans fluid ( not blowing the fluid out just draining could help and then replace with non-brand fluid and then do it again with Honda trns fluid if the frist try seems to help? I rea onlien that may help a little? Could it be a belt or gear shift thing..it does nto get stuck in one gear ( yet).
Could it just be the catlytic converter not the transmission?
I just can't believe that the trans would change overnight like it did.

I want to keep my 1997 Honda Accord with 220K but at two shops the quote was 2400 to "rebuild the trans. $4200 to put a new one in at Cottman. I am in PA
I just spend $700 on repairs..battery...brake lines...light bulb..oil change...ignition...inspection...
Over the last 7 years I have replaced plugs/wires/hoses/radiator/fan/catalytic converter,water pump, thermostat,oil pan, (also struts/bearings or axles one of these I can't remember)...and basic brakes/pads but most of this about 6 or 7 years ago... about half the mileage ago.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:14 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

think you're on the right track to think cheap solution, thinking drain and fill; refilling the tranny w/ Honda fluid.
I'd do it twice separated by 5+ mile drive and if makes a difference consider doing it a third time.

My '97AT took exactly 2.5 qts for each drain & fill on the level.

Old 12-22-2012, 11:06 AM

I think I will give it a try and bring it to the station. ...twice and see if it makes a difference.... THANK YOU.

Old 12-23-2012, 10:45 AM

You might want to use the flush and additive recommended by the following website:

h ttp://www.lubegard.com/C-110/Transmission

(Copy the address, paste it in a new page's address bar, but before hitting "enter", remove the space between the letter h and the letter t.)

I've used the additive in our transmission as a preventive measure. FWIW, our transmission still operates very well, but I do not know with any degree of certainty that the additive has had anything to do with that.

Good luck with your transmission.

Old 12-23-2012, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

If Check Engine light is on, have the engine/trans scanned for codes. If a trans code is stored, this will provide a clue to your problem. Agree that changing fluid 2-3 times is a good place to start.

good luck

Old 12-24-2012, 05:38 AM

You really need to pull the code, like TH said. Also, you really should check yelp and find another mechanic to go to temporarily to see if this first mechanic is creating problems to fix. Automatic transmissions are very finicky to fluid levels. You're best to have less than full than more than full.