General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Car keeps cutting out & it's not got an idle

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 02:36 PM
Question Car keeps cutting out & it's not got an idle

Hi, can anyone help me regarding an idle issue that’s just happened on my Honda accord 1.8 Vtec 2002 (UK) this evening, it happened when i was driving to the petrol station when i noticed the car just cut out but i noticed the idle dropped right down to 0 i tried starting the car again it started back up again but only if you press the accelerator pedal other than that the car won’t start. Has this happened to anyone before? If anyone can help me it’ll be much appreciated. Thanks for a newbie

Old 09-25-2011, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Problem has symptoms of ignition problem, coil or ignitor.

Suggest going to techautorepairs.com/ignition.html for guidance on diagnosing where ignition is failing.

good luck

Old 09-25-2011, 04:07 PM

hi thanks for your reply, i don't think it's an ignition problem as this is all fine as it's a idle issue as i've been told it could be a surging idle and could be a dirty IAC valve which i'll try and find out what this is and maybe give this a clean.

Old 09-25-2011, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator

UK models are a bit different but not that much....a dirty IAC should not cause the car to "cut off" while driving.....bouncing idle at rest yes but not while going down the road at speed. If you are going, lets say, 60 kmh~40 mph and it shut off, not the IAC in my opinion.

EDIT: I read this again and I see you did not state if the car was at a stop or going down the road. Can you give us a bit more info on this?

Last edited by poorman212; 09-25-2011 at 04:55 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator
Default UK Accord cutting out & not idling

I attached a picture of the throttlebody of a USA Accord, I hope it should be pretty similar. The IACV is #9 on the back of the intake manifold.

Try setting "base idle" like in this thread. The idle-air adjust screw is #1 in the attached picture.
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...e-speed-38734/
One thing... in that thread I mention pulling fuse #13 to reset the ECU. Might not be the same fuse number because your Swindon-built car isn't the same car as a USA Accord.

Attached Thumbnails Car keeps cutting out & it's not got an idle-02accordtb.jpg  

Last edited by JimBlake; 09-25-2011 at 08:45 PM.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:43 AM

Hi, i tried using the spare key this morning the car started ok but it was still wasn't idling properly so i decided to unplug the Map sensor when the car was running it was still idling it didn't cut out so i connected it back up & noticed the engine light came on it stayed on so i decided to disconnect the battery when i started the car back up it either wont start with the spare key or normal key as i had to press the accelerator pedal when it does it wont stay idling for long as i'm getting the green key symbol flashing five times when i take the key out which seems to me that it's an ignition fault i.e. faulty ignition barrel as this was on a another forum

"Have you had a flat battery recently? My brother noticed that whenever he has a flat battery or when he removes the battery and then reconnect the battery after recharging/repair work etc his car would cut out as i described in my post. After a few days it was running perfectly. We heard of ecu in cars which remembers the way you drive the car. When the battery is disconnected it loses that data. When you reconnect the battery it goes through a learning stage. Don't know if that is true in this case.

Another problem he had at that time was the green key symbol appearing on the rev counter. He had trouble starting it sometimes hence flat battery. It was traced to a faulty ignition barrel which was part of the immobiliser, a common fault.

Let us know how you get on"

I'm going to change the ignition barrel and see if that works as i think it could be this..i hope

P.S when this happened last night i was driving when the car just cut out on me as the car stopped when i was turning the corner as i didn't press the acc pedal.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:45 AM

a quick update i tried starting the car just now and now the car wont turn over it suggest that it's a ignition problem as the car wont turn over & wont start until i press the acc pedal.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:40 PM
Default Still having the problem?

It sounds similar to the problem I just had. Mine was the EGR valve. I just took it off and there was a chunk of carbon stuck in there keeping the valve open. I cleaned it up with carb cleaner and put it back on with a new gasket. Mine's a 99 accord so it could be different.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:43 PM
Default problem fixed i think

hi just to let you ppl know that i tried the spare key and it seems to be working fine now as we cleaned the negative earth terminals from the battery and it's working fine now, thanks for all your help on here ppl

Old 09-26-2011, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator

Well lets hope that was it...like the simple ones. Thanks for getting back.

If the issue comes back let us know.