Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

2006: Anyone Seen XM Cutting In and Out?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 06:58 PM
shostak
Unregistered
Default 2006: Anyone Seen XM Cutting In and Out?

Hi,

Summary: Factory XM radio cuts in and out (roughly every second). Has to be power cycled to recover. Detailed description below.

I searched the forums, but couldn't find anything related to this issue. If it's a repost, I apologize; a link would be preferable to a flame.

My EX has the factory installed/stock XM radio.

Since day 1 (July 2006), it's had a weird problem. Here's the description I gave the dealer:
[blockquote]At certain "random" times, the XM receiver portion of the radio will fail to operate. This always starts immediately following a channel change (i.e. if it's playing, it won't fail unless you touch it and change the channel). Once it starts, you hear a pattern of the XM audio, followed by static (white noise), followed by silence. This pattern takes about 3 seconds (roughly one second of each), and then repeats. This can go on for minutes, and a channel change has no effect (i.e. if you change the channel you observe the same symptoms, but the program audio is that of the new channel). Eventually, the audio goes away completely (i.e. you hear constant silence). At this point, changing the channel has no effect on the problem (i.e. you still hear silence). The display indicates the correct channel, name and title, but there's no sound. This condition persists until the radio is power cycled by means of the power button in the center of the volume control (key can stay in run position). After a power cycle, the radio behaves normally, as if the problem never happened. This fault has been observed multiple times in the same trip, however, sometimes a week or more can go by without seeing the fault.
[/blockquote]As expected, the dealer couldn't reproduce the problem. They said they looked for TSBs, but didn't find any.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Thanks,
-Mark

[blockquote]
[/blockquote]