General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car shaking when accelerator is mashed. Honda dealership baffled.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 10:19 AM
usmdesigner
Unregistered
Default Car shaking when accelerator is mashed. Honda dealership baffled.

So we took our Honda Accord 2000 into the dealership after we was getting a shaking that was happening every so often when we would speed up.

At first, they told us that it was just probably flooding that occured, and that it was probably due to cranking the car and not letting it idle. This was untrue because it is cold and we crank our car to get the ice off of the windshield every morning, but we said whatever.

2 days later we take it back in because now it has gotten worse. We are actually afraid the car is going to go dead because it is shaking so bad.

This time they said that water is probably in the fuel. 300 bucks later they clean it all out (supposedly). They give us 5 dollars worth of gas to get home in.The very next morning we crank it up and let it warm up (because of the cold). We get about 5 miles down the road and it is happening agian, constantly.

So at this point we are mad and take it back and refuse to pay money and want the problem fixed. They say ok and keep the car ALL day and then at the end of the day tell us (me and my wife) that they will need to keep it overnight and keep working on it. Since we car pool to work, we have no way of getting home, so we have to get her brother to come pick us up and carry us home.

The next day they have stated that they cleaned the car's fuel entirely and changed all fuel filters. They didn't charge us but told us that if it happens again, they would have to charge us, because we are getting gas somewhere that has water in it. (which is a bold face lie, because we used THEIR gas) So then they said that someone is obviously tampering with our gas, and that there are ways to get into your gas tank without breaking into your car and getting the lid to open.(overnight? and why do this kind of work to get water in our gas? why not key the car? poke a hole in the tire?) So they give us a full tank of gas this time as well.

So now we have taken the car home and it is happening again.

This time we called a "higher up" and he has gotten us to bring the car in again and he said he would personally look at it.

My wife told me that this time today, even with the cruise control on, when the car would go up a hill, it would still shake pretty bad. Any stop she comes to and starts agian... same thing, shaking badly.

Does anyone have any suggestions that this could be? I'm just losing faith in the "gas" being the problem at this point. I mean, they cleaned out the gas twice now, and the second time they kept the car for 2 entire days.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:36 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Car shaking when accelerator is mashed. Honda dealership baffled.

hmmm.... can you describe what feels like it's shaking?

The engine bay? transmission? the seat? steering column?

my immediate guess would be an engine or tranny mount... but surely they'd be able to figure that out!?

Old 02-08-2008, 03:51 PM

If it's vibrating due to a fuel issue then it must also be misfiring, which would have an associated loss of power...? Misfiring could also be an ignition related problem. Are you sure that it's an engine vibration?

If it's not misfiring then it must be a drivetrain issue, i.e. engine mounts, axles, suspension bushes etc. Wheel imbalance will cause vibration, but it would be consistant and speed related not 'acceleration' related'. Alignment could be an issue, especially if there is also a worn suspension component (that might itself be causing an alignment problem)...

Old 02-08-2008, 10:13 PM

try a different dealer. cut your losses. keep in mind no one cares you have to car pool. it's not our fault your car has a problem. you said they said it's 'probably' water in the fuel, which means they are unsure. you agreed to do that as a preventitive, to start with, then youuh,uh,uh about it later. anyway....

i want to start by getting for info. 6th gen accords are my favorites, and i own a 2000 av6.

describe the vibration.
does it happen at slow speeds or highway speeds?
or all speeds?
and which speed is the vibration highest?

i'm going to assume that all the tires are on and tight.

a bad tire(shifted belt)will present itself under load(heavy acceleration) if it's not terrible yet.
imbalanced tires present itself at highway speeds all the time.

a bad mount or mounts usually presents itself under heavy acceleration from a dead stop. you usually get a dull thud sound. that's about it, unless your cruising and more than one mount is gone. but you said the vibration only happens on acceleration. is it a constant shaking until you let off the gas?

it can be a whole host of other things, but give us more info.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Does the Check Engine Light ever comes on and flash on/off? If yes, the vibration is due to engine missing. This can be fuel, but more likely an ignition issue.

good luck