General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car starts then dies right after

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 01:27 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Car starts then dies right after

Hey guys

My Accord 93 starts up but instantly dies right after. Soemtimes the RPM goes up then drops to about 200, and goes back up, but then drops to 200 and then zero. This all happened after I degreased my engine then while rinsing the degreaser off with water, I saw a large puff of white smoke out of the exhaust, and the car just died.

I can start the car consistently, but it would instantly die/struggle then die. I know if I step on the gas pedal, the car will just die immediately without a struggle. The RPM doesn't go pass 2000 even if I floor the pedal.

We removed the distributor cap. The rotors and caps don't seem wet. We blew dry the inside and wiped it just incase.
Did the same for the spark plug compartments. Blew dry in there as well. Wiped the tips of the wires to dry them and blew dry them as well...

It was night time when this happened so we didnt have sun drying power. I waited 2 hours into the night and went to try to start my car. Same symptoms...

Anyone know whats up?

Old 07-07-2010, 04:05 AM

sounds like water has shorted out something, check for trouble codes, exactly where was water beeing shot when white smoke came out (sounded like engine was running when this happened)
make sure all vacuum hoses are connected, check and clean all electrical connectors that got wet especially distrib/coil to ecm. check coil and plug wire resistance, icm, what kind of plug are you using?(NGK or ND?)

Old 07-18-2010, 08:05 AM

i had a similar issue in my 94 civic once. the problem turned out to be some issue with the electrical connectors. see them closely and if you find something which is burnt you might have to replace it.

Old 07-18-2010, 10:16 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I had a similar problem with my 95 accord v6, when i turn the car on it the rpms go low, it sort of sputters then dies. I had to get something in the ignition switch replaced. Not the switch itself but when my mechanic took it apart there was an adapter plugged into the ignition switch that he replaced, after that It never happened again.

In fact im having the same problem now with my 99 accord coupe but I called honda and they told me there was a recall done (the recall was also done on my 95 but i had too many miles on it to qualify for the free fix) on the ignition switch because it sent out too much electricity and your symptoms were the same described.

Old 07-18-2010, 03:37 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

White smoke is usually water in the combustion chamber. I don’t know how you could have gotten water into the induction system cleaning the engine, but I would take a look at the spark plugs and see If they are fouled.