General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Car will not start after it rains

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 07:54 PM
gtrr4
Unregistered
Default Car will not start after it rains

OK, I have an 99 accord LX and this had only happened to me 3 times in the last 4-6 months. Morning after a good rain, the car will not start. I am going to assume that something has gotten wet or has gotten some moisture somewhere, The ECU knows this and will not let the car start.

What is Wet??

Thanks in advance,

Jason

Old 06-05-2007, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Car will not start after it rains

Sounds like a plug wire problem, even though Honda plug wires usually last 10 years or so.
You can open the hood on one of those misty rainy nights and watch for stray sparks, also the boot that goes down to the spark plug could be leaking volts.
You can check them for 'burnt' spots.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:29 PM
gtrr4
Unregistered

Well, bask in the winter I had a plug or a wire fail on me. Definatley could tell by the way it ran and followed up conclussion with a code check. I went a head and replaced all the wires and plugs. I guess I can recheck the connections. Where will the burnt spots be, on the wire or the spark plug itself? If one wire is leaking voltage, this will tell the ECU not to start the car?

Jason

Old 06-06-2007, 06:36 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Start the engine and pour some water over the distributor cap. If it stalls it needs a new cap.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:28 AM

What type of plugs/wires did you use when you replaced them?

Old 06-06-2007, 02:17 PM

ORIGINAL: Chiovnidca

Start the engine and pour some water over the distributor cap. If it stalls it needs a new cap.
That sounds almost like the advice my old man gave me when I was young and naive.I was having problems with missing on one cylinder and he told me to pull the plug wires one at a time while it was running until I found the one that didn't make it any worse. Of course the first one I pulled off lit me up like a christmas tree. I could hear him laughing all the way from inside the house. Anyway, sounds like a cracked distributor cap letting you get some condensation forming inside.

Old 06-06-2007, 04:28 PM
gtrr4
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: 00AccordLX5spd

What type of plugs/wires did you use when you replaced them?
I really dont remeber the brand, but I am sure they were youre basic wires from AA or AZ.

Old 06-06-2007, 04:41 PM
gtrr4
Unregistered

Ill go ahead and check the distributor, but is there still the worry of some fireworks? My dad isnt here to laugh at me, lol.

Jason

Old 06-07-2007, 05:14 AM
gtrr4
Unregistered

Well, thank you everyone. I poured water over the dist. and the car stalled immediately. So I rplaced it and we will see what happens after the next rainfall.

Thanks

Jason

Old 06-07-2007, 06:30 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: gtrr4

Well, thank you everyone. I poured water over the dist. and the car stalled immediately. So I rplaced it and we will see what happens after the next rainfall.

Thanks

Jason
That's almost always what it is.