General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The car works now. Some nagging questions.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 04:53 PM
Almost A Senior Member
Default The car works now. Some nagging questions.

I just installed new spark plugs and wires. Car starts up now! It works. I took it around the block for a couple of spins. No check engine light, everything seems fine.

1. I heard a weird whistling noise under the hood on the first time, now it's gone. Vacuum leak? If so, not sure why it would be intermittent.

2. The ignition coil wire was hard to push on. In fact I'm afraid I might not have put it on well and I'm afraid it's going to fall off while driving. Is there some kind of grease I can use to slide the plug on? Alternatively, some spark plug wires are now jammed on so tight at the distributor that I can't pull them off without breaking the wires I think. Anyone have tips on how to remove them besides "pull on the boot"?

3. How much vibration under the hood is "normal"? I understand this is vague but the whole engine shakes, I can see it move about an inch to one side during the vibrations. The whole air filter box and starter motor shakes too. Is this normal?

4. Lastly, if the car starts up and drives fine, does that mean the gapping and the installation of the spark plugs are fine? Could it start up and drive fine if perhaps the gapping was off or the spark plugs weren't tightened down enough?

I also just want to thank the members on this board for helping me get this car back up and running.

Old 06-30-2011, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

Please enter your car's information in your signature.

If you used the NGK zfr5f-11 plugs, then they are set to the proper gap out of the box.

If you got OEM style wires like NGK, Densor, or Honda wires, then the rubber dust boot on the distributor side of the wire should slide back along the wire. I would use dielectric grease to help install the metal part of the plug into the distributor cap or coil. You should be able to use needle nose pliers to push in the metal part. Then slide the boot over top. You can get a packet dielectric grease at the parts store. They typically sell them for the head light bulbs.

The shaking could be from worn out motor mounts, or the engine could be misfiring. Did you look at the distributor cap and rotor?

Old 06-30-2011, 06:10 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Sorry, I can't find the place to put it. It's a Honda Accord 1993 4-cyl 2.2l.

I am using NGK V-Power Copper (zfr5f-11) plugs. And I am using NGK wires as well.

I don't think the fit has to do with the metal, it's the rubber chaffing on the plastic parts of the distributor and coil?

I've never looked inside the Distributor Cap because it's hard to reach the screws I believe to pop the cap off. If the engine was misfiring, would I know? It seems to drive fine. There's no CEL either so throwing up a code for misfiring doesn't seem to be the case. What does a misfire look or sound like?

Old 06-30-2011, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

For the signature, click on User CP, then edit signature. Once you save the signature, it should show up. If not go to user CP, Edit Options, then click on the box to show signatures.

I am not exactly sure what is off with your spark plug wires. You can try WD-40 if the rubber is stuck on plastic distributor cap. You may be able to roll back the rubber boot as well. Those boots seal the spark plug connection from moister, oxygen, etc..

Once you get the plug wire off the post, you should be able to slide the whole boot back (or pull the wire through the boot). Then I push in the metal piece, then slide the boot up the wire. Make sure the WD-40 has evaporated before reinstalling. Hope that makes sense.

I would consider checking the distributor cap. There are three bolts holding it on with a philips head, but you can use a socket on them (8 or 7 mm).

Once you are sure the spark plug wires are secure, then look at the engine shaking to see if it went away.

You can also inspect the motor mounts as the source for the vibration. The front mount is easy to inspect if the rubber is torn.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:40 PM

removing the distributor cap is very easy.

but i would leave the wires on or make color marks to make sure you put the wires back on the correct posts.

like blue to blue red to red yellow to yellow

or mark a 1 on a wire and 1 to the corresponding post.