General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CEL Comes on Sporadically

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 03:43 AM
Cool CEL Comes on Sporadically

The CEL on my 2004 Honda Accord Ex has been coming on and going off for quite some time. The manual said it could be as simple as the gas cap needing to be tightened. Did that...even replaced the cap. Still comes on and not it is staying on most of the time. Once in a while it will go off while I'm driving but 10 minutes later I look and it's back on. I've been searching for answers here to see how to replace the O2 sensor. I can't find the print out from Advance Auto so I don't know what the code was but he told me it is the O2 sensor. He said it's under the drivers seat. After reading on this forum, I see there are 2 of them.I'll need to have him scan it again to find out which one it is. Yes, I'm a female (don't go there) and I'm going to replace the part myself. I'm a tad nervous about it as I don't want to mess something else up in the process! I was under the impression (from the guy at Advance Auto) that I would need to remove the drivers seat to get to it. That isn't what I've been reading on here. Glad I did some reading! My dealership wanted $658.00 to replace it. Of course, they won't take a diagnostic from somewhere else so $100 is for them to tell me that is the problem Duh. I already know that. The weird thing about all of this is...I can start the car and the light comes on and goes off as it should. THEN, when I put the car in reverse to back out of driveway...the light comes back on. I know that sounds crazy but that's what happens.
Anyway, I'll let you know how it goes.
PattyW

-~·*’˜¨¯`·¸♥¸·`¯¨˜’*·~-..-~·*’˜¨¯`·¸♥¸·`¯¨˜’*·~-..-~·*’˜¨¯`·¸♥¸·`¯¨˜’*·~-..-~·*’˜¨¯`·-~·*’˜¨¯`·¸♥¸·`¯¨˜’*·~-..-~·*’˜¨¯`·¸♥¸·`¯¨˜’*·~-..-~·*’˜¨¯`·¸♥¸·`¯¨˜’*·~-..-~·*’˜¨¯`·-~·*’˜¨¯`·¸♥¸·`¯¨˜’*·~-..-~·*’˜¨¯`·¸♥¸·`¯¨˜’*·~-..-~·*’˜¨¯`·¸♥¸·`¯¨˜’*·~-..-~·*’˜¨¯`·
2004 Honda Accord EX/AT
2000 Honda Accord EX?AT
1998 Honda Accord EX/AT
1994 Honda Accord EX/AT
1990 Honda Accord EX/AT
1957 T-Bird (Ducking and Covering My Head)

Old 07-28-2012, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator

Post the actual trouble code on this forum. Yes, for the 4 cylinder there is a air/fuel ratio sensor (a type of wide-band O2 sensor) and the secondary heated oxygen sensor.

Before even replacing the sensor, there may be fuse(s) to check, etc.

If it is the rear O2 sensor here are some info. (attached pics) and a link.

Note: Always work under a safely supported car, for example, using jack stands to support car and not just a jack to hold up the car. Your health and safety is more important than trying to save some money.

To disconnect the plastic electrical connector inside the car, slide the connectors off a tab bracket on the car chassis before attempting to disconnect the two ends of the connectors. Otherwise, you will have a really tough time trying to disconnect the two ends of the connectors. (In this link, the guy didn't know about sliding the connector off the bracket first.)

https://sites.google.com/site/hondar...-oxygen-sensor

Attached Thumbnails CEL Comes on Sporadically-2003-2007-accord-l4-af-sensor-o2-sensor.jpg   CEL Comes on Sporadically-2003-2007-accord-4-cylinder-rear-o2-connector.jpg   CEL Comes on Sporadically-secondary-o2-sensor-replacement.jpg  
Old 07-28-2012, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

first get the code again and then we can provide diagnostic/repair advice...