General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Changing cities - what do I need to do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 06:10 PM
Default Changing cities - what do I need to do?

So I just moved to Chicago from LA. I read somewhere online that I should try and change all my fluids when I get to Chicago to account for the freezing temps out here (that we obviously dont get in sunny socal), so I took my car to a shop, where they changed the oil and did a coolant flush.

My question now is, was it really necessary to do the flush? Do mechanics in different parts of the country use different coolants?

Is there anything else I should be doing to protect my 04 Accord Coupe V6 from the harsh Chitown weather?

Thanks in advance

Old 09-14-2011, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator

The honda type II coolant is a 50:50 mix that will protect the car over a large range of typical temperatures. That shouldn't change from state to state. My TSX didn't have problems with the Honda Type II coolant over this winter, and it was bitter cold here for a while.

Changing was probably unnecessary, but it can't hurt. I am not sure what coolant the shop put in there. You should ask them, because the Honda Type II coolant should last for a while. Look in your owner's manual.

Just stick with the normal maintenance schedule recommended for your accord. You may want to lubricate the brake caliper slide pins with silicone paste or those packets you can pick up at the parts store. When it gets cold, old grease may cause the pins to stick. Make sure you still have enough tread left on your tires.

Maybe have the battery, starter, and alternator tested at a parts store to see if it is putting out the proper cold crank amps.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

The antifreeze was 7 years old, so maybe not such a bad thing to replace anyway.