General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Changing a tire

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 09:30 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Unhappy Changing a tire

My wife has a 91 accord 4dr. This morning the tire was completely flat so i thought i would put on the donut for the day. Didn't think changing the tire would be that difficult but i had a few problems. My wife misplaced the owners manual to make it even more frustrating.

Where is the tire iron located? I found the tire and the jack but no iron. It was not with the donut like i thought it would be. Either I am looking in the wrong place or the original owner decided to keep it.

Also, the jack is stuck (mounted in the passenger side rear corner of the trunk), i was reefing on it to the point of it bending the steel mount and it would not budge. Is there some sort of secret to remove it?

Old 08-17-2009, 09:38 AM

I think 1 out of 10 used cars I have bought actually came with the jack and lug wrench. somewhere out there a small group of people must be hordeing piles of crappy scissor jacks and misc. lug wrenches. If it is not in its little sleeve in the spare tire well or tucked next to the jack you are SOL. I long ago bought a $10 braker bar and just keep the deep socket to fit the lug nut in my used cars.
As for the jack; are you possibly turning the screw in the wrong direction? It sounds like if you are bending the mount you are raising it instead of lowering it...

Old 08-17-2009, 09:52 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks Guinness.

I guess i am out of luck then. I will maybe try using the wrench out of my Grand Am, if the bolts are the same size, probably unlikely though. If not I have CAA so i can get it towed to the shop. Waste of a tow but oh well.

Maybe i will see if i can find the proper size wrench at an auto wrecker because it would be nice to have in case of an emergency.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

19mm wrench size. Got a socket set with a long-handle wrench?

Old 08-17-2009, 12:01 PM
Newest Of Newbies

No I don't have a good wrench set but I have a friend in town that does.

I was just thinking, its a front tire thats flat so i probably shouldn't put the spare on it. Could this do damage to the drive axles/tranny?

Old 08-17-2009, 12:46 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

buy onr of those CROSS tire tool.. auto zone or any other parts store should sell it,, 20-30 dollars ,,,,,,
it is ok to install the donut on frt as long as you do not drive to far with it or go at hwy speed for long miles,,,,,,,
install the donut, take the flat tire to be fixed , when done switch it back...some places fix flats while you wait ...
it it make you feel more comfortable you can always switch a rear tire to the frt and put the donut on the rear

Old 08-17-2009, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by litz
No I don't have a good wrench set but I have a friend in town that does.

I was just thinking, its a front tire thats flat so i probably shouldn't put the spare on it. Could this do damage to the drive axles/tranny?
Jack the rear and take off a tire from the rear.
Place donut on rear.
Jack front and replace flat with tire from the rear.