General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check Engine Light, Code P1167, About to lose my mind!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by deserthonda
try this. get an multi-meter, set it in ohms, key off, disconnect plug for o2 sensor # 1 ,, chk for continuity to body ground at the plug ,, blue wire to body ground,, than red wire to body ground .....
..if there is continuity o2 sensor is no good,,
if no continuity there is either an open or short in the wiring from the o2 plug to the ecu
I was throwing P1166 and P1167, then I replaced the o2 sensor with a Denso 234-9014, and now it is throwing just a P1167 code. The fuses are good, I checked them all first, before replacing the sensor.

I'm not 100% clear on how to do this test, deserthonda. When I unplug the o2 sensor to do this test, am I measuring continuity from the plug attached to the o2 sensor or the one with the male pins that connects to the rest of the car? I assume the latter.
If there is continuity, then o2 sensor is bad (I don't understand how it would know this if I'm not connected to the o2 sensor). If there is NO continuity then it is either an open or a short (I would expect continuity if there is a short...). So, anyway, I'm a little confused, and I'm really hoping for some clarification.

I'm measuring NO continuity on both the blue and red wires to ground after unplugging it and measuring on the wires that go to the rest of the car, not the sensor. So, based on what has been explained so far, I would think that I have some kind of open or short in the wiring from the o2 plug to the ecu. I will be checking that again.

Thanks!

Old 11-07-2011, 11:27 AM

Hah, found it.
http://www.honda-acura.net/forums/ac...ine-light.html
Turns out it was the 40 amp power seat fuse!! Crazy...

Old 10-07-2012, 07:04 AM

Forum,

First time post.....new to this forum. Sorry for the username, my hobby cars are all restored Alfa Romeos....my personal cars have been and are Hondas (Would kill to have my 1996 Accord Wagon.....why did I ever sell it?).

In any case, I was working on my sister's 2002 Accord EX ULEV and her check engine light was on. The folks at Google were kind enough to point me to this thread which was very helpful.

In order,

-Got the P1167 code
-The 40A power seat fuse was blown and replaced it.
-#6 driver's side fuse, 15A, was blown, replaced it.
-CE light still on
-Replaced #6 passenger side fuse, light still on
-Replaced both O2 sensors with Bosch OEM-style (#13075 - upstream and #13071 downstream)
-Reset ECU
-Check engine light was gone

Was reading in the thread about using universal style and certainly agree. I had to wire up a Bosch universal for my Alfa Spider and it was a terrible kit. Both of these I bought from Autozone and had the Honda OEM connectors. The wire length on the #13075 is about an inch or two shorter than I would like.

In any case, that was $170 for both sensors and problem was solved.

Thanks to this group for helping me sort this out!

JP

Old 03-08-2020, 01:48 PM
Default P1167 Code Fix

My 2002 Honda Accord was throwing a P1166 and P1167 code. When looking for a replacement O2 sensor I ran into the same struggle that everyone else seems to run into, there a re a ton of choices and they range from $60 or less to $380 or more. I ended up picking something on the lower side first to see if it would fix the issue, I believe the sensor ran $80 from Denso. The sensor I ended up with had a wire that was too short but I went ahead and modified the wire to make it long enough and popped the sensor in. My P1166 code went away but the P1167 code kept coming back every time. I then was told that the O2 sensors should be replaced in pairs, both upstream and downstream. Being that the downstream sensor is pretty affordable ($50) I went ahead and replaced that one with a Denso sensor from NAPA. The code P1167 still remained. I checked both fuses that relate to this issue, #6 on driver's side interior fuse box and passenger side interior fuse box and both were fine. I decided it was worth it to try and go with a more expensive upstream O2 sensor and went to O'Reilly's to purchase one that was supposedly an OEM replacement for $230. I popped that one in and the problem was gone, no more codes! The part number for the correct Denso sensor is 234-9014, the part # stamped on the actual sensor is 192400-8090 and O6G18. I have some pictures of the wrong Denso sensor (pictured left) and correct Denso sensor (pictured right) in the attached pictures below. FYI, Advanced Autoparts has the same exact sensor for only $155.99 and I was pretty pissed off at O'Reilly's for not price matching it only because they were able to get the sensor a couple of days sooner, Advanced Auotparts will be my first stop next time around.

Old 12-02-2020, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by luckyluke
Hah, found it.
http://www.honda-acura.net/forums/ac...ine-light.html
Turns out it was the 40 amp power seat fuse!! Crazy...
This worked for my son's car!!! We had the same P1166 and P1167 codes and car ran like crap.

After changing the Throtle MAF sensor...didn't help. Found this post and simply changed the Rear ACC 40amp fuse with 40amp Power Seat one.

Voila!!!

Thank you so much