General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

check engine maint light

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 12:09 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default check engine maint light

Have a '98 Accord coupe, manual with the ULEV. motor in it & just under 160xxx miles on it. In the past 20xxx or so miles I got the check engine lite coming on. Found out that both the O2 sensors were bad and replaced them just about a year ago and the last inspection.

Well a year has gone by and just like clockwork the Maint Lite & Check engine lite come on simultaniously. Scanning it tells me that the EVAP system is faulty. Thinking it might just be a fuel cap issue I tightened it down a bit more and cleared the code.

A week goes by and I figure all is good schedule the appointment for the inspection and sure as heck, it comes on on the way to the garage for the the inspection.

I'm in 1 of the few counties in PA that have emmisions testing and I know its not gonna pass. Been told it could be simple as replacing the fuel cap, that it could be the "vaccum switch" located dead center of the motor between the valve cover and the intake. It also could be the charcol cannister as well.

Took off the charcol cannister shook it and it didnt feel like it was clogged up at all.

REF: standing at the front of the car right side being the driver side:

Took off the Right hose to the vaccum switch and noticed that its making a burbling sound. Has vaccum BUT also emits air pulses out at you as well.

Reconnected the hose and removed the Left hose after the switch and didnt hear the burbling sound, had strong vaccum and when I squirted a tiny amount of starter fluid at the hose the Idle changed and then would not come back down but rather it would jump up and down.

In the past with other cars, driven them like I stole it for a good hour taking it up higher in the RPM range before shifting it hoping it would clear it out. Well It didnt work.

I need to get this car inspected as its my daily driver and the PA state police are relentless lately on the highways I use to go to and from work.

I'm currently using my pickup to go to and from work and the fuel its sucking down is making all the oil refineries extremely happy and me a shirtless wonder!! Trust me,,,, shirt on,,, would do Shamoo the whale a lot of justice!!

Help greatly appreciated.

Last edited by speedie mc pete; 03-11-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

What is the actual code - P1457, P1456 or something else.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:56 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by poorman212
What is the actual code - P1457, P1456 or something else.

Would of been smart if I included that as well.

I have both P0446 & P1457 coming up on the code reader from Advanced Auto.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

The 1457 is usually the purge or two way valve. I can't seem to find anything (?) for a 0446 on an Accord.

Being that you are in PA....you might have an issue with the screws/bolts that hold the valve to the canister, they rust and when you go to remove them....bad things happen, so be ready. Some have had to replace the canister because of damage done when trying to remove the screws/bolts.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry and the purge and two way valves/solenoids are under the car near the tank.....I think I ref to this in your post in the new member area....or at least I thought that was why the car was on stands